Author Topic: An important question about my Flixel book  (Read 7657 times)

Morgan

• View Profile
Re: An important question about my Flixel book
« Reply #20 on: Fri, Oct 14, 2011 »
I still buy new vinyl records and i freaking love it when i get a code to download the mp3 version. physical book for the win with a digital sidekick.
Gardening for pleasure

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sun, Oct 16, 2011 »
Only thing that make me apprehensive about a book is just how much Flixel can change between updates (2.5, for example).

Have you talked with Adam about when / if  a 2.6 or 3.0 will come out?

I'd love to have a hardcopy book, but it would become a paperweight if a major update were released, so maybe you should make sure to plan it for a period in Flixel's development when you know there won't be any major updates for awhile.

Or perhaps take your chances with the hardcopy book, but make some sort of guarantee to your readers that the online version will be updated when necessary, perhaps for a certain time period, such as a year? I wouldn't mind having to pay for a new book once a year.
« Last Edit: Sun, Oct 16, 2011 by xyroclast »

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #22 on: Mon, Oct 17, 2011 »
Yeah of course I asked Adam first :) and if I'm going to do it, now is the time apparently.
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

tth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mon, Oct 17, 2011 »
Figured I'd toss in an utter n00bs few cents worth...

Even though I'm not a young developer I still prefer online over paper.  While I couldn't care less about a paper edition (no offense), if you made only a paper edition, I'd probably still buy it to support your efforts -- I certainly learnt a lot about Flixel/Flash from your guides.

A living, online version which would be kept up-to-date as Flixel evolves (perhaps with a small upgrade fee to get access to the new versions), would be something I would be interested in having access to.  It is certainly something I've been missing in the last month or so that I have been working actively with Flixel.

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Oct 18, 2011 »
I had a thought: (You may already have your lesson plan mapped out, but in case you're taking random suggestions) One chapter I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate would be a "Pre-2.5 to 2.5 conversion guide", such as which methods change names, which methods are now in new Classes, etc.
It stands out as the hardest thing I've faced in Flixel so far, with the exception of getting into it in the first place :)

Chelnok

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tue, Nov 1, 2011 »
One chapter I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate would be a "Pre-2.5 to 2.5 conversion guide", such as which methods change names, which methods are now in new Classes, etc.
It stands out as the hardest thing I've faced in Flixel so far, with the exception of getting into it in the first place :)
I think it is not necessary to add this kind chapter to the Book. Newcomers dont even know that there have happened any changes, and those who are familiar with previous ver with Flixel, well its just cheking how new api works. But i do feel your pain.. did a port from prev ver to 2.5 :) Perhaps we should put up a sticky topic for this?

John Hutchinson (Johntron247)

• Commodore 256
  • Contributor
  • I can has lazerz?
    • View Profile
    • Level X Games
« Reply #26 on: Tue, Nov 1, 2011 »
I think it is not necessary to add this kind chapter to the Book. Newcomers dont even know that there have happened any changes, and those who are familiar with previous ver with Flixel, well its just cheking how new api works. But i do feel your pain.. did a port from prev ver to 2.5 :) Perhaps we should put up a sticky topic for this?

^ This

I'd personally rather not see a chapter about updating, mostly for the same reasons that Chelnok mentioned.  Also, a book like this could potentially bring a fair amount of extra exposure to Flixel, so "putting your best foot forward" would be a very good idea - and that means as little mention of previous versions as possible.  You want to focus on the latest and best incarnations, not expose the faults of pervious versions.

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Tue, Dec 6, 2011 »
That's a good point. The number of users with un-converted projects is most likely dropping, as everyone gets it figured out (such as myself - I only start new projects in post-2.5 now)