Author Topic: Newbie: Flash Develop + Flixel + Dame?  (Read 3880 times)

alchoris

• View Profile
Newbie: Flash Develop + Flixel + Dame?
« on: Sat, Sep 17, 2011 »
Hi everyone,

My first time both here and using FlashDevelop and Flixel. I just did some basic tutorials on these two and am starting to get the hang of how they both work.

Before I ask my problem, I thought I'd share my background a bit. I've used Javascript, C#, BASIC, tiny bit of C++ and Actionscript 2/3. I'm not a professional in any of these but I get the jist of them all. Anywhos, through a recommendation of my friend, I've decided to use Flash Develop and Flixel to develop my games instead of Game Maker 8.

Now... during one of my tutorials, it showed how to make a level for a platform game and the tutorial used a txt file using numbers to create the level. For example, 0 = nothing, 1 = brick, 2 = ramp, 3 = spikes etc.

This made me stop because this kind of level creation just hurts my brain. So I came here and saw DAME. I read about the map editor and the sticky topic on this forum and it looks really great. However, I have some questions about all this...

So I'm planning to make a pixel-art, platform adventure game like Metroid, Cave Story etc. It looks like the best way to do this is to use FlashDevelop, Flixel and Dame. Is that correct?

If so... is Dame "similar" to Game Maker 8? I mean, looking at the video demos on the website, it looks very versatile. But like... if I wanted to place an enemy in there with a certain behaviour and can interact with other objects in the level, is the process similar to Game Maker 8?

I mean, in Game Maker 8, you make a sprite and an object. You then double click the object and you put your code in there of how to move it, its interactions etc. Then all you have to do is place it in the world. What's DAME like?

Anyways, I thought I'd ask this while downloading DAME just in case someone can help me before I start playing with it.

Thanks

Alchoris

osro

• View Profile
    • Purppura
Re: Newbie: Flash Develop + Flixel + Dame?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
It looks like the best way to do this is to use FlashDevelop, Flixel and Dame. Is that correct?

Well, that's opinion question :) Personally I don't use Dame because it seems to eat all the CPU usage on my both (Windows + Mac) systems.

Here is couple other alternatives which I prefer more myself
http://ogmoeditor.com/
http://www.mapeditor.org/

If so... is Dame "similar" to Game Maker 8? I mean, looking at the video demos on the website, it looks very versatile. But like... if I wanted to place an enemy in there with a certain behaviour and can interact with other objects in the level, is the process similar to Game Maker 8?

I mean, in Game Maker 8, you make a sprite and an object. You then double click the object and you put your code in there of how to move it, its interactions etc. Then all you have to do is place it in the world. What's DAME like?

I think the game maker does the whole thing for you. Compiles your game and stuff like that.
DAME is just a level editor. You still need todo your coding in Flash Develop.

Alextfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
FlashDevelop + Flixel + DAME is a fairly recommended combination. I'd also recommend you add the Flixel Power Tools to your Flixel install. They make a number of common patterns such as "player controlled by arrow keys" or "fire a number of bullets from the player's location" very straightforward.

DAME lets you create levels made out of tiles, and it's easy to create levels with several layers (background, collideable platforms, foreground scenery etc). DAME also lets you place sprites (such as enemies or powerups) onto the level at their starting position.

What it doesn't do is automatically do things like make them move, make them shoot, let you shoot them, or make them die. You have to create your own objects such as EnemySpaceship or Turret and program those kinds of behaviours into them.

But Flixel does make programming those behaviours very easy. For example, if you've got a player firing bullets using the Flixel Power Tools FlxWeapon class, then making the enemies get hurt by those bullets is as simple as:

in your PlayState's update() function:
Code: [Select]
        FlxG.collide(Registry.playerBullets, Registry.enemies, bulletHitEnemy);
later in your PlayState:
Code: [Select]
        protected function bulletHitEnemy(bullet:FlxSprite, enemy:FlxSprite):void
        {
            bullet.kill();
            enemy.hurt(Registry.playerBulletDamage);
        }

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
DAME is a bit glitchy. It's slow,and eats away my CPU usage. (as osro said) I also don't like the look of DAME, but that's just my opinion. I Personally like (Love) Tiled. Osro gave the link.

Cheers!

photonstorm

• Administrator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Photon Storm
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Sep 18, 2011 »
As others have said, Dame is just a map editor. It can do a lot more than just create maps (unlike say Tiled) but fundamentally that is what it was created to do, and that is what it does best. It's nothing like Game Maker. Stencyl is probably the closest thing to Game Maker for Flash. I still use Dame for all my map editing and have no real issues with it, and I can see past its garish GUI and appreciate the powerful features it does have (which are rarely seen in other map editors!)
http://www.photonstorm.com

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I might remember, involve me and I will understand" - Confucius

alchoris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Sep 19, 2011 »
Thanks for the replies and the information everyone. I've been playing around with DAME and I have to admit I'm still having some difficulties with it.

Anyway, I'll look into those two other level editors before I make a commitment.

Thanks again everyone ^^