Author Topic: The future of flash  (Read 2293 times)

KunoNoOni

• "Never tell me the odds"
  • Code is Love
    • View Profile
The future of flash
« on: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 »
So is anyone else concerned about the future of flash? I've been reading alot of articles about websites dumping flash for HTML5, Microsoft's new windows 8 metro won't support flash, Apple's iPhone/iPads don't support it. Things are not looking good for Adobe at this point. I know it would take years before enough people have devices which do not support flash, but it looks like the start of the decline is happening now... what are your thoughts?

-KunoNoOni

felipe

• games!
    • View Profile
    • i love pixel
Re: The future of flash
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Sep 30, 2011 »
I think Adobe should make an official tool to translate AS3 to JS and then be able to use it on HTML5. We have haXe+NME which are grate tools to write AS3 and compile to js,cpp or flash.

So I am not really scared about flash player dying, I just hope Adobe makes good decisions.

datorum

• View Profile

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Oct 1, 2011 »
Yes, I'm concerned too, I really love flixel and things that are going on with it and definitely don't want to see it fade away.
I'm sure Adam will do something, even if that happens.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

Arkeus

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • I, Arkeus
« Reply #4 on: Sat, Oct 1, 2011 »
Not worried at all. Flash has quite a bit more time left, especially when it comes to games.

ktu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sat, Oct 1, 2011 »
I'm not concerned.

If it lives it lives, if it dies it dies.

So the world became frustrated with plugins (for whatever reason *cough*) and are now trying to enhance native browser functionality so those plugins are not needed. That's fine. Probably for the better. Originally, Flash was a tool to allow for experiences html could not deliver at the time. So far, Flash has done a decent job of keeping a step up in terms of functionality compared to html (and its counterparts). Now because the html standard is evolving, so must Flash. I think Adobe is doing an ok job so far. They are focusing on two things it seems: Performance & Cross-platform. You can see this with their efforts on operating systems such as Ios, android, windoze, mac, linux, blackberry, and also the new Stage3D libraries. Lets not forget about the new native extensions api for AIR 3. Adobe is attempting to keep flash in the game. Lee Brimlow said at a conference, that Flash has always been one step ahead of html. It always will be.

The developers also have to do the same. We must also grow with the platform. If we do not, it may not live.

But again, if it dies, there is a reason, and we should learn something new.

KWarp

• Game Programmer
    • View Profile
    • kwarp.com
« Reply #6 on: Sat, Oct 1, 2011 »
The Flash runtime is not going away any time soon. It still does interactive web content better than just about every alternative.

Flash will definitely be replaced with other technologies for embedding video.
As a games platform, it has years ahead of it.
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Oct 2, 2011 »
How it can have "future" when most handheld devices and tablets don't support it?

I don't care much about flash, because it's not open source, all I care about is what will happen to efforts like flixel, I h8 to see "rise" of HTML 5 and witness the wheel from the scratch, all over again, like new projects starting from simple sprite placements to everything.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

TahGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sun, Oct 2, 2011 »
How it can have "future" when most handheld devices and tablets don't support it?

I don't care much about flash, because it's not open source, all I care about is what will happen to efforts like flixel, I h8 to see "rise" of HTML 5 and witness the wheel from the scratch, all over again, like new projects starting from simple sprite placements to everything.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Flash is open source to build for(the Flex SDK,) it's just the player that isn't.

I don't see Flash dying anytime soon. Adobe has been doing some great things with their platform, making flash experiences even stronger then before(Molehill, etc.)

Flash pretty much dominates in web-based games, but video isn't going to be on Flash's hands.