Author Topic: Careless Talk  (Read 10941 times)

GustoGaiden

• View Profile
    • AndyGusto's Portfolio Page
Careless Talk
« on: Sat, Nov 28, 2009 »
Careless Talk
Costs Lives
A game of WWII stealth and subterfuge.

Well, kind of.  This started off as a game I only intended to have completed start to finish in a week, but I decided to make it into a full fledged portfolio piece.

The idea is centered around those WWII propaganda posters where Hitler himself is listening in on two townsfolk gossiping about troop movements, sometimes disguised as an every day object.

You play as the Fuhrer Himself, deep undercover in London.
Move left and right with the arrow keys
Press X to Disguise yourself as a Post Bin
Move in close to civilians having conversations
If you are not disguised, they will become suspicious, and stop talking.
Press C at the phone booth to relay information back to Headquarters.  Large bursts of information are FAR more usefull than small bursts.

Enjoy, and tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: Sat, Nov 28, 2009 by GustoGaiden »

Germille

• Oh my, why I'm here?
    • View Profile
    • Germille's unfinished portfolio
Re: Careless Talk
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Nov 28, 2009 »
although short, fun, the graphics are simple but nice.
i think it's a really good piece for your portfolio ;)
Free cake every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Hideous

« Reply #2 on: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 »
Haven't played it yet, but greetings, fellow Redditor. ;)

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 »
Funny little game. And there's a deeper relevance for me. The nazi guilt is still omni-present in germany. To the point where it really annoys the young generation that see it more like history then anything that has do with their lives. It's hard to feel involved with anything that's happend 40 years before you've been born. A game chosing that very theme with nothing more in mind then to provide some background for some fun gameplay - makes me think. Makes me question why I feel a taboo has been broken and at the same time don't feel bad about it.

I'm just curious: Did you think about wether making hitler the player character and winning the war the goal of your game could be problematic to some folks? If so, why did you decide to follow it through?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

riverguardian

« Reply #4 on: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 »
I liked it but it seemed awfully difficult to win?

GustoGaiden

• View Profile
    • AndyGusto's Portfolio Page
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 »
@ Hideous: I think we're all familiar with the time at which the Narwahl Bacons.

@ riverguardian: The key to winning is filling up your Info Meter all the way before sending any out. If you manage to catch a large amount of info at the very beginning, it's quite easy.

@ lithander: I like the idea that "Winning" the game isn't necessarily a good thing, kind of like the Turbine Quiz puzzle in Machinarium. When I was thinking up the game, I was drawn to the charm of drawing a toothbrush mustache and angry eyebrows on commonplace objects, in the same style that Propaganda posters simplified and cartoonized them, and in general making Hitler seem silly.