Author Topic: Jet Son [working title]  (Read 5874 times)

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
Jet Son [working title]
« on: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 »
Looks like I've got my work cut out with optimising this engine, my new game is running smooth so I will come back to this project.  Here's how it looks so far though:

Jet Son

Keys

Arrows to move x=Jets c=Gun v=Grenade

More levels, enemies:

-Bouncing aliens, Robots, and more
-Boss at end of each area
-Gun turrets

Presentation elements:

-Title screen
-Game over screen
-Continue screen
-Level complete

Collectables:

-Stars will give you extra points but are optional
-Grenade pickups in hard to reach areas

I will soon make a video of the game being played.
« Last Edit: Mon, May 10, 2010 by PlayOrDie »
Make it work reliably and fast.
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

superflat

• View Profile
Re: Jets On
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Dec 1, 2009 »
Looks cool!  Can we get a little more info about the gameplay?

GustoGaiden

• View Profile
    • AndyGusto's Portfolio Page
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Dec 1, 2009 »
I dig the art style!

Germille

• Oh my, why I'm here?
    • View Profile
    • Germille's unfinished portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Tue, Dec 1, 2009 »
completely awesome.
i really like the helmet.
Free cake every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »
Thanks for the support.  Bones' art really is great, he has like me come close to finishing a couple of big projects.  I really hope that this game does his art justice, and hopefully we can at least gain a little more exposure through completing this game.

Here is the general idea for the gameplay so far:

The basic enemies will move along simple left/right and up/down paths, turning when they reach a wall.

I'm looking into implementing A-Star for more advanced enemies, Bones has already designed the first few of them.

There will be a range of weapons available from simple lazer, to 3 way, grenades, flame thrower and more.

I'm also working on destructible terrain.

I am torn between 2 methods of completing/winning levels atm:

1) collecting a set quantity of stars, perhaps 50 per level.  
2) destroying all enemies on the level

The Jet Pack will be topped up by collecting fuel canisters, however as I am designing the levels, I will have to ensure that it is not impossible to complete them as a result of running out of fuel!

I'm also undecided on whether level exit will require you reaching an airlock, or whether the level will simply end when you complete one of the 2 above objectives.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 by Badger Manf. »
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

ETG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »
Why not both? Mr. Do! did it. How about a scoring system that gave bonuses if you beat consecutive levels the same way?

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
@ETG

Thanks for the help in deciding this.. I think you're right. Why not indeed?!!  The combinations of possibilities of the two win conditions are endless however.. without playing Mr Do recently I can't picture it, but thanks for the reference - I will check it out again.

I guess for expediancy I should decide sometime soon.

Hesitancy to move beyond designing the first level is down to wanting to ensure that I can implement paths for enemies for level 1 - and then avoid having to re-design all the levels.

Anymore ideas are much appreciated :)
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

harborpirate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
I'd go with "end at an airlock". And probably, let the player end when they reach any airlock, even if they've not completed the "collection" part of the game (whether they're enemy scalps or shineys is inconsequential).

Players who take a short route are only hurting their own score anyway. Completists and competitive players will try to conquer the entire map, whereas casual players can choose to keep things fresh and exciting by moving to a new environment after the first airlock they reach.

Just make sure your level designs put all available airlocks a far enough distance away to keep the challenge level high enough for those that choose to opt out of "me kill everything ug ug" mode; but at the same time, don't force them to meet every enemy on the map anyway - then your game is just the "dreary railroad", a game which pretends there are choices when there really aren't.

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 »
Thanks for the useful feedback harborpirate.  I like the idea of allowing casual players the ability to move on to new areas without necessarily completing all the goals, it is a good idea.

I think that collecting the stars will increase your weapon power, and killing enemies your score. 

Perhaps certain enemies will also drop ammo, and you'll be able to cycle through all weapons from the start of play (eliminating the need for me to make a shop).

I was also considering having infinite fuel as it may cause too many gameplay / level design problems otherwise.

I want to get this game done asap.
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 »
I was also considering having infinite fuel as it may cause too many gameplay / level design problems otherwise.

How about the fuel slowly regging on itself? So if all fails you'll have to sit still for some seconds and recharge. It's not a severe punishment but enticement enough to go for the fuel powerups if possible. :P
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 »
Actually that seems like a good idea to get around the issue.. I will go with it. 

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated :)
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
Re: Jet Son [working title]
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Jan 21, 2010 »
Ok, now the fuel meter reg's on itself as you suggested.

This is still work in progress, but here's the engine so far:

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/230110/3180_Main.php
« Last Edit: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 by Badger Manf. »
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

klembot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thu, Jan 21, 2010 »
I'm enjoying the jetpack mechanic on this. I don't know how challenging you plan on making this, but I kind of like just zooming around the map. The grenades felt a little unnecessary, but I can see where you're going with the destructible terrain. The only thing that felt a little weird was the gravity -- I would've expected to fall slower in space.

You probably already know this, but I think you're cutting your FPS significantly because you're calling FlxG.log a lot. At least, that's what happened to me when I was logging on every update cycle.
I will never reveal the twofold secret.

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 »
Thanks for the feedback.

Grenades do seem a little bit unecessary, and for the sake of simplicity I may remove them from the players aresenal and allocate them to one of the (forthcoming) enemy types instead.

Incidentally, the other points you made I also appreciate you making and agree with, and so have commented out the calls to FlxG.log, and also made the gravity weaker.

This is an ambitious project that may need to be put on hold until I learn Flixel a bit better, we shall see whether the engine holds together or not as I try and make the levels as full and numerous as I had originally intended.

In the meantime thanks again for playing - I will be updating this project more regularly from now on   :)
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

eddietree

• Bees nuts
    • View Profile
    • Illogictree
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 »
Awesome game. I am excited to see where you take this. I really dig the art style. The controls feel good

However, after playing it for about 15 mins, I noticed that the game started to lag quite a bit. I looked at the MEM usage, and to my suprised saw that it was taking 132MB of ram! For a simple 2d game, this is unacceptable. I have the same problem with my game; this is due to flixel's inability to automatically delete "killed" sprites.
Dev Blog: illogictree | Twitter: @eddietree

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sat, Jan 23, 2010 »
Thanks for the positive comments.

As for the memory issue, I am looking into a way to export my sprites as a csv rather than using the code exported by the editor.  This is so that I will have more control on how many are added.  As it stands the code generated by Flan creates every sprite one after the next on the map in one go on level start.  

I am going to make it so that an array of initially on screen sprites is created, then re-use them as the player moves around.  If I get anywhere soon, I will post my code (if I think it's helpful).
« Last Edit: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 by Barnaby Byrne »
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 »
After an awesome GGJ London (our team made an avoider clone in Flash CS3 http://globalgamejam.org/2010/body-warfare, during which I personally coded up a sound class for my team, and helped with 3d rendering), I've just edited fefrancas FlxUtils to redraw colored blocks during their render.

Now the JetPac fuel meter updates without me creating a new one every pass through my gamestate loop.

Incidentally, this is also the reason that the memory was rocketing (no pun intended).  At last count it was nigh 120mb, now that I edited FlxUtils the memory seems to stabilise at a reasonable rate (20-30mb).  I've also made objects not update themselves if off screen and all seem much smoother now.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/020210/54746_Main.php
« Last Edit: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 by Barnaby Byrne »
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

xhunterko

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 »
I'm sure you know these, so I'll try and be brief.

I can fly past the right and left sides. Flying past the entirety of the level and exploring the bottom side was fun.

It would be nice if the invisible platforms led somewhere. Like to more stars or something.

If I move back to the spawn point area, the turrets stop on the spot.

I noticed that the enemy at times appeared off the platforms without falling.

If moving blocks squish the player, either move out of the way, or implode the player.

Grenades seemed to do no damage to the explodable blocks.

Also, the jet pack counter appeared Behind the computers, and the explodable blocks.

That's all I got, nice concept though. Are the enemies really supposed to be that small? I'm guessing, like the health bar, these are in prototype stage for testing, right? Other then that, solid mechanic going on there. (No, I didn't check my cpu or such, mostly cause you said you fixed it.)

Cheers!
Now on twitter: http://twitter.com/xhunterko I made a game that's in alpha you can buy here: http://xhunterko.itch.io/wave-miner-alpha

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sun, Feb 7, 2010 »
Thanks for play testing the demo as it is so far.

I can fly past the right and left sides.

I was still deciding on a final map size, as such have not put boundaries/wrapping on yet.  I'm also not sure which of these to implement (block/wrap) - some maps may not have jets and be longer rather than tall, so neither would apply on those maps.  

I am looking for level designers, PM me if you are interested.

It would be nice if the invisible platforms led somewhere. Like to more stars or something.

Not sure what you meant by invisible platforms?

If I move back to the spawn point area, the turrets stop on the spot.

The turrets are being worked on now.  Another issue is that I'm trying to make them keep a track of when they collide.

At the moment they all respawn after the same time.

I noticed that the enemy at times appeared off the platforms without falling.

I'm still deciding on the enemies AI.

I'm considering pathfinding for enemies, maybe robots with Jetpacks.

Also turrets that aim at you by rotating and shooting.

If moving blocks squish the player, either move out of the way, or implode the player.

Implode sounds good.  Really I can avoid this situation by ensuring that moving blocks are never so close to the ground - I have not yet implemented waypoints for them.

Grenades seemed to do no damage to the explodable blocks.

That's funny.. are you sure you are firing them at the brick wall tiles?  They are the only ones designed to explode so far - sorry if that confused you.

Also, the jet pack counter appeared Behind the computers, and the explodable blocks.

Hmm, I need to check the order I've added it - it should be added to the state after adding sprites.

That's all I got, nice concept though.

Thanks again for playing it, hopefully I will have more soon.

Are the enemies really supposed to be that small?

The enemies could be sized up lol.  When more are in the game things will improve I am sure, but I'll maybe make those ones bigger too.

I'm guessing, like the health bar, these are in prototype stage for testing, right?

Yes, all placeholders until I draw a nice looking health meter and some more sprites :)
« Last Edit: Sun, Feb 7, 2010 by Barnaby Byrne »
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

xhunterko

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sun, Feb 7, 2010 »
Wow what a reply!

"I was still deciding on a final map size, as such have not put boundaries/wrapping on yet.  I'm also not sure which of these to implement (block/wrap) - some maps may not have jets and be longer rather than tall, so neither would apply on those maps. 

I am looking for level designers, PM me if you are interested."

I think that either one of the cheat sheets or seifer tims tutorial had something about screen boundaries. I'm pretty sure it was the cheat sheets though. I'll be back with more tomorrow. With pics of the "invisible" platforms. If you've not updated them unknowingly. I am certain that the grenades did no damage to the explodable brick wall. The shots did, though not the grenades. Hopefully I'll have more with pics tomorrow. One more thing, on the order, the hud should always be below everything in code if it's to be in front of everything else. I learned that with my grass tile layering.

Cheers!
Now on twitter: http://twitter.com/xhunterko I made a game that's in alpha you can buy here: http://xhunterko.itch.io/wave-miner-alpha