Author Topic: DragonFlight (prototype)  (Read 1849 times)

Kytin

• View Profile
DragonFlight (prototype)
« on: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 »
Thought I would share what I have so far for my 2d platformer. It's still at the prototype stage so it is still missing some significant features (such as sound and music).

DragonFlight
Arrow keys move. 'Z' attacks.
'UP' flaps your wings. Press and hold 'UP' to glide while moving through the air.
Eating dead enemies restores health.
Eating white bats increases maximum stamina (the yellow bar).
'DOWN' interacts with environmental objects (doors and save points).
'ESC' will return you to the main menu.

Major features still needed:
Breath weapons
Sounds
Music
Scripted/cinematic events
Additional enemy types
Complete series of levels
« Last Edit: Sun, Dec 11, 2011 by Kytin »
I have seen the future. You will not.

claudiovc

• View Profile
Re: DragonFlight (prototype)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 »
Hi, Kytin. The sprites look very nice! I played it a little bit and in my opinion the controls still need some work. It isn't easy jumping from a place to another, and when I did, i slided through the plataform and fell. Also, sometimes you're standing in a plataform and the dragon starts to slide =P ...Maybe its just a matter of adjusting the values of gravity, drag, etc. And waiting for that yellow bar to refill is a little frustrating, sometimes it seems the controls aren't responding. I'd work on that before diving into effects, sounds, levels, etc. Waiting for the next version!

Kytin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 »
Hi, Kytin. The sprites look very nice! I played it a little bit and in my opinion the controls still need some work. It isn't easy jumping from a place to another, and when I did, i slided through the plataform and fell. Also, sometimes you're standing in a plataform and the dragon starts to slide =P ...Maybe its just a matter of adjusting the values of gravity, drag, etc. And waiting for that yellow bar to refill is a little frustrating, sometimes it seems the controls aren't responding. I'd work on that before diving into effects, sounds, levels, etc. Waiting for the next version!

The sliding is intentional. It was added to prevent the oddity where the player could stand on the edge of a block and not fall because he had one toe still on solid ground. That said, I may have overdone it. I have toned it down so that the player won't slide unless at least half of their body is off the ground. I have also added some more starting stamina to make it easier to get around, and to give people a better idea of how the movement is supposed to work.

All the art is (so far) my own, so thanks. I appreciate the all the feedback.

Updated swf
« Last Edit: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 by Kytin »

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #3 on: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 »
I think this game has a lot of potential. I do agree with claudiovc though-the sliding off platforms are quite annoying. >:( I like the sprites though! Hope to see this upgraded! :)

Umz

« Reply #4 on: Sat, Dec 10, 2011 »
Took a little while to get used to the controls and everything but great so far. You could do quite a bit with this game, looking forward to it.

Kytin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Dec 11, 2011 »
Update!

I have decreased the amount of time the player has to wait between flaps (which has the side effect of increasing the heights that they can reach with each flap), and added a fudge factor that creates perfectly timed flaps as long as it is within a tenth of a second of actually being perfect.

Decreasing the flap time has had the effect that if the player just keeps flapping, they can rise to any height without gliding at all. This was a bad thing when the player had infinite stamina, but does not matter so much now.

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Dec 11, 2011 »
I like it! :D

claudiovc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Dec 12, 2011 »
I like it too, now I've got to the 'end' of the stage in seconds...in the previous version I could barely reach the lower plataforms.
Very nice!

Umz

« Reply #8 on: Tue, Dec 13, 2011 »
I'm not sure what type of levels you have in development so it's difficult to decide, but I think flapping adds just a little too much height. The new one is definitely an improvement, but I think the upgrades arn't doing enough as the dragon gets such height with flapping.