Author Topic: Newgrounds Contest  (Read 7122 times)

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
Newgrounds Contest
« on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1126830

Newgrounds are running a Flixel Contest.

That is all.
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

knivel

• View Profile
Re: Newgrounds Contest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »
Thanks for the heads up, Titch. The end of February is pretty close to when I was hoping to have my current game done. Perhaps my vague deadline just got a lot more specific.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »
Ooooo, heck yeah.  I've got a few tricks up my old game making sleeve that would be fun to complete
before then!

Hell, just completing another game is reason enough to get excited!

Game on fellow Flixler Folk!  Game on!

To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Thanks for the heads up, Titch. The end of February is pretty close to when I was hoping to have my current game done. Perhaps my vague deadline just got a lot more specific.

Well it's not a big contest, so don't go blowing any games you could get decent sponsorship revenue from (although I did fairly well from the first week of my NG ads, so having front page there could bolster your earnings).

I've got an idea I want to try for this, if I'm not going to be murderized for NOT working on Gather Up.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
I guess it's a bit offtopic but I'm getting confused when it comes to contests, the various portals like newgrounds or kongregate, sponsorships and revenues, add APIs and everything related to marketing an homebrewed flash game. I think I'd personally value player attention a lot more then the cash (how much revenue potential is in there anyway? any figures?) But maybe a contest entry is the way to get attention and a deadline might help to keep me focused.

But then I'd prefer to develop iteratively, hopefully getting some valuable player feedback as early as possible, discuss gameplay ideas and implementation details, work on the game until I feel it's done. I really like the community in these forums and would like to get involved and maybe get them involved with what I do. If I'm going to spend large chunks of my free time on creating some game then I really want to make sure that I'm not the only one every caring about it...  because that would mean i drop the project as soon as _I_ lose interest in it. Which would be likely to happen if I just worked on it on my own.

Does that make any sense? I know it's a bit untypical topic to ask for advice on... :P
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
For potential revenues I'll point at this for some high end revenues. You can look at this for some more mid range stuff . I'm not really in a good frame of mind for the whole Sponsorships/Advertising/Mircopayments/Premium content spiel, right now though.

Money means different things to different people. Some people do the flash games thing for fun/exposure and see the money thing as a bonus. Some people do the flash games thing for money (like me, I've got a big ass student debt to pay) and see the exposure/fun as a bonus. So when you see contest like this come up, people who need the money will either go 'meh' or put in something they spent a day or two on. You are invetably going to be beaten out by someone who doesn't need the cash and who can spend more time for less returns on it. So you get nothing (asside from a little advert revenue) for time you could have spent working on a Sponsor game deal for a nice sum of $500-$1000.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but placing in a contest on a bigger portal also gives you exposure if you are just starting out.  Exposure and a small measure of internet "fame" should give you more flexibility in the future with sponsors/help develop a brand that should give you more creative freedom.

"do something you love and you will never work a day in your life" - Confucius  I think?

Basically, if you love making games and you find a way to support yourself doing it you should never feel like you are working again.

I personally believe in taking any opportunity to achieving that goal.  However, I very new to all of this.  Could very well be naive.

« Last Edit: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 by darthlupi »

nitram_cero (2bam)

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • 2BAM
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
I have to agree with Tilch here. I'm in a similar situation myself.
If you do a kick-ass game, fame will come alone... there's no need to "build up". But even with that said, I agree that being well known increases your chances of success, but some people can't afford that.

Also: "To help fund the prizes, we're asking that participating games run our Flash Ads API on their loading screens.", meaning they'll get a ton of cash out of the millions of people trying the contest games.

$1000 for a great fresh game is nothing compared to what they'll get from it thanks to that exclusive licensing.
Well, all submitted games could suck and they'll lose the $3000 prize investment, but I don't think that's likely to happen.

Regards :)

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #8 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
$1000 for a great fresh game is nothing compared to what they'll get from it thanks to that exclusive licensing.

Hmm... as I said the whole licensing/add issue confuses me but it doesn't sound like an exclusive deal to me:
Your game can spread to other sites with our ad API and keep making money, or you can site lock it to NG and sell sponsored versions to individual websites. You can also try other ad providers on other websites, but we ask that at least the version on Newgrounds uses our Flash Ads system.

I don't get half of it (sitelocking??) but wouldn't you get your regular share from the NG adds like you'd do with a non contest entry? Seems to me like the contest thing is just a bonus to what you'd do anyway...

@Titch: You posted your game Level Up on NG. Is that NG deal exclusive or can you still post your game on other sides if you chose so? Let's say your game would finish in 2 months, why wouldn't you consider putting it up for the contest? (just trying to understand it)

Thanks for the linked sites regarding revenue. Can you give me a rough idea maybe how much "cash" did the 400k views it received generate in revenue?

You are invetably going to be beaten out by someone who doesn't need the cash and who can spend more time for less returns on it.

Someone who doesn't need the cash is probably not working on games full time (otherwise he'd need the cash^^) so he'll surely not able to beat someone making his living with flashgames with what he puts together in 3 months in his spare time.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

knivel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Yeah, as lithander said, it doesn't sound like an exclusive deal, so I can't really blow a game on it. Mainly I'd like to have a hard deadline to focus my efforts, and possible attention and prize money is just a bonus.

Well it's not a big contest, so don't go blowing any games you could get decent sponsorship revenue from (although I did fairly well from the first week of my NG ads, so having front page there could bolster your earnings).

I've got an idea I want to try for this, if I'm not going to be murderized for NOT working on Gather Up.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
I don't get half of it (sitelocking??) but wouldn't you get your regular share from the NG adds like you'd do with a non contest entry? Seems to me like the contest thing is just a bonus to what you'd do anyway...

@Titch: You posted your game Level Up on NG. Is that NG deal exclusive or can you still post your game on other sides if you chose so? Let's say your game would finish in 2 months, why wouldn't you consider putting it up for the contest? (just trying to understand it)

Thanks for the linked sites regarding revenue. Can you give me a rough idea maybe how much "cash" did the 400k views it received generate in revenue?

I get the impression from Tom he is trying to push the NG advertising out to try and compete with Mochi Ads, which is why he is encouraging people to intregrate them. Personally I quite like CPM star, I got a decent eCPM and the adverts are more 'targeted' toward my audiance than other advertisers I've used.

I've sent you a PM about my revenue. I would rather not discuss it all publicly, on account of it not being terribly professional :)

You are invetably going to be beaten out by someone who doesn't need the cash and who can spend more time for less returns on it.

Someone who doesn't need the cash is probably not working on games full time (otherwise he'd need the cash^^) so he'll surely not able to beat someone making his living with flashgames with what he puts together in 3 months in his spare time.

I think there are a great deal of people producing flash games who are still students or similar and have both the free time and the money (or the student loan, at least). Since they aren't worried about their bottom line (say, working for less than 5 an hour) it doesn't matter how many hours of work they put in relative to the reward. So for a contest for $1000 max I would be limited to putting in say...three weeks of work at 5 an hour before I -have- to work on something else or I might as well go get a job down at the local supermarket.

Yeah, as lithander said, it doesn't sound like an exclusive deal, so I can't really blow a game on it. Mainly I'd like to have a hard deadline to focus my efforts, and possible attention and prize money is just a bonus.

When a game isn't out. You have the power to dictate the price to an extent. Once it goes live to the web you are completely at the mercy of the sponsors. It's a bigger risk to take than you think. Take it from somone who has already wasted a -lot- of his time entering flash game competitions. ;)

knivel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
When a game isn't out. You have the power to dictate the price to an extent. Once it goes live to the web you are completely at the mercy of the sponsors. It's a bigger risk to take than you think. Take it from somone who has already wasted a -lot- of his time entering flash game competitions. ;)

Fair enough. I certainly don't have that experience and I appreciate the advice. I think I'll still try and complete my game by the contest's deadline, but I'll think about whether or not I'll answer. Thanks!

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Well the bottom line is, I would say, try and push to finish a week ahead of the contest deadline. You can put your game up on FGL. If you get no bids it's no loss, you can still put it into the contest.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #13 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
It sounds like a previously sponsored game that is not on their site is also an option.  If you had time you could always try to get a sponsor and then push your game to their site with their ads to their site only, and spread your game as usual.

It seems like the big risk is not getting sponsored first and being over saturated on the web and losing sponsor interest.

Am I reading this wrong?

OnionsXD

« Reply #14 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
I'm in this contest!!

Problem is I don't know how to run flixel or flashdevelop. I only know how to do art....

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 »
Has anyone submitted their game for this yet?
Man, it doesn't say anywhere on that page how to submit your game for JUDGEMENT.

Markham

« Reply #16 on: Wed, Dec 30, 2009 »
I think you submit your game, and then on the game's page, there's a section on the left to suggest it to certain collections.  PMing Tom probably wouldn't hurt, either.

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #17 on: Thu, Dec 31, 2009 »
Sweet,

Luckily Tom PMed me to let me know that there are problems with the ad implementation in the game right now, so I Was able to let him know that our game was intended for the Flixel competition. 

Mike - I think the guy who writes their API's - is working on converting the connection API to AS3 right now, so that might be part of the problem.  I had to guess at a bunch of type declarations, and I probably didn't get it quite right.

I'll be sure to update you guys with any problems or fixes I come across while we try to set the game up!

Any one else submitting their game?  There are ton of fun games made with Flixel that qualify!

JackThaedos

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sat, Jan 2, 2010 »
Do you think it'd be alright to use Flixel 1.25 (I'm more comfortable with it right now until new tutorials come along) for this competition instead of the latest version?

...and on a related note, if I made all the art assets and a design document for the game, where would you recommend I post some of it to team up with a programmer?
- Kurosai of Thaedos LLC

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #19 on: Sat, Jan 2, 2010 »
I wouldn't think using 1.25 would be a problem.  I didn't see it in the rules any where.

For collaborations I have been using google docs for design docs.  If you have a gmail account you can use that.  Pm me is you don't have gmail.  I have a few invites left.