Author Topic: Story  (Read 1852 times)

Raf

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Story
« on: Tue, Jan 15, 2013 »
My game is not a story-driven thing, so the story's more of a polish thing than a drive behind the game, kinda like in Mario the "The princess has been kidnapped! Go save her!" story. Take it away and the game's still fully playable.

How do you guys go about writing those kind of stories?

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Story
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2013 »
At least in flash games, I usually don't care about story at all as a player, unless it's really really well done. (Voice acting etc) Most of the times, I'll just skip it (so make that an option!) because I want to get to the actual game.

Alex

• View Profile
    • Levelism
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Jan 15, 2013 »
writing the story is so freakin hard. That's all I can say :| :|
Level designer/Programmer
portfolio/blog http://www.levelism.com

Raf

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Jan 17, 2013 »
Yeah, nothing I hate more than starting up a game, wanting to play it, then having to sit through 15 minutes of story (or worse, in some Final Fantasy cases), and then being forced through a 30 minute tutorial. It's even worse if it's of the style: "Press left to go left. Go ahead, try it! ... Way to go! Now press right to go right. Let's try this out now!" It's for that reason that I was going to add the intro and outro as separate buttons on the level select screen. That way, you could see them if you wanted, but aren't forced through them.

I've found a really lazy solution for my story. I replaced a button labeled "Story mode" with one labeled "Campaign". Problem solved! That isn't always an option, though. I mean, take Super Mario, for example. What's the point of the game if you don't know you got to rescue a kidnapped princess? Ok, you don't have an intro there before starting, but they make it clear nonetheless.