Author Topic: Rune Hunt [Released]  (Read 31888 times)

ashitaka

Re: Rune Hunt [3rd Prototype]
« Reply #60 on: Wed, Jun 23, 2010 »
great great great, i love it, looks really beautiful :)

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
Re: Rune Hunt [3rd Prototype]
« Reply #61 on: Wed, Jun 23, 2010 »
1. What did you use to calculate the polygon ? I mean the algorithm, all I know is some tutorials from GameDev.net (orangytang IIRC). But somehow I can't wrap my head around it :p

Some posts earlier in this thread I have outlined the approach/algorithm I took - did you see that? It's not based on any resources I could point you at.
I started with pencil&paper programming if you know what I mean.^^ And I have to admit that what looked easy enough in theory has a lot of pitfalls. There are some special cases that you have to handle or you'll get visual glitches. When occluders are parallel to your LineOfSight (or line of light^^) or when occluders touch but don't intersect.

But a tip nonetheless: I've started with writing a generic 2D math library in AS3 that has classes like Vector2D, LineSegment2D and so on. Having methods like "intersect" at your disposal helps tremendously.

2. Did you use pixel bender? Since the result is pretty forgiving for my processor (which usually hauling like crazy whenever playing flash games with lots of effects).

Good to hear it's running smooth! No pixel bender involved. It's all based around compositing layers with BitmapData.draw using additive and multiplicative BlendModes. And these layers are either created by blitting sprites or by using Flash's vector drawing capabilities to raster the light-mask-polygons.

great great great, i love it, looks really beautiful :)

<3 glad you like it! I can't wait to finish & release the game tbh. :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
Re: Rune Hunt [Beta]
« Reply #62 on: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 »
Hey guys!

Rune Hunt is more or less complete now - just lacking a lot of polish and balancing and maybe a little eye-candy.

Play on FlashGameLicense  (if you have a developer account)

If you chose play it, it would be great if you could provide a little feedback. I'm especially interested if there's any point where you get stuck or frustrated.
« Last Edit: Mon, Aug 16, 2010 by lithander »

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 »
This is quite lovely and spooky o_o
I have gotten to the first glowing fungi, and my only thought so far is it feels like he walks really slow.

You might not want to speed him up too much because it will make the game shorter and probably take away from the suspense...but maybe he should look like he's running, and then have a "walking" option that's even slower? :P to trick me into thinking he's going as fast as he can.

I know you don't sprint through dark caves. I just want to. =P (But, a very minor complaint)

zyxstand

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 »
great concepts implemented well.  gfx are good, music is good - i think the noise is sometimes too loud (relatively to the music).  i'd like to see a bit of his face when walking left or right (it looks like he's going diagonally up).  the butterflies were a bit difficult to manipulate.  the shadow seems pretty cool and fluid, and while i don't fully like the sharpness, it does add to the cave-element.

i think i encountered a glitch which made me stop playing:  after i got the second pillar (i thought i could walk through shadow now, but i guess i was wrong lol), i went to the shadow creatures and got killed. i then respawned by the pillar (it seems like a save-point?) and continued. i got to the plants with removable light, and i walked around with it - the light went out and i was by shadow creatures and got killed - and i then respawned at the beginning of the place...

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #65 on: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 »
Good to hear your feedback!

I fixed a couple of things you mentioned:

14.08.10 - Beta 003
- Jittering removed for overlapping corpses and player/rune
- General volume of sound effects reduced. Volume of music slightly increased.
- Player respawns at the last savepoint instead of the closest one
- Player movement animation sped up by 33%
- Rune board is shown on player respawn (to make it clear that runes are not lost on player death)

Barts

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 »
Ooooh, it's complete! Gotta give it a try in some free moment.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #67 on: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 »
Is there anyone around here with english as his first language that considers himself a good writer and would review my ingame texts?

Rune Hunt features quite a bit of dialogue and writing it I really met my limits. I got feedback that there are a number of typos, grammar mistakes and general wording issues that sound strange/cheesy in a native speakers ears!

zyxstand

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 »
I would consider myself good at spelling and grammar. shoot me up a .txt file and i'll help you with it ;)

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 »
I'd be glad to assist if you want a second set of eyes or zyxstand doesn't otherwise meet your needs.   :D
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

archerboy

« Reply #70 on: Fri, Aug 20, 2010 »
^^^

And if these gentleman can't do it, I'll be more than happy to help :D

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #71 on: Sat, Aug 21, 2010 »
Zyxstand and Hectate both reviewed the whole thing (BIG thanks!) and I integrated their suggestions back into my version. I'm pretty confident that has a lot better narration now but in case anyone spots an error or weak wording I'm glad to know.

The game is not yet officially released (I'm looking for a sponsorship) but it's playable on FGL if you have an account.
« Last Edit: Mon, Aug 30, 2010 by lithander »

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Mon, Aug 23, 2010 »
Best of luck getting a sponsorship. The game looks and plays excellently. Got as far as the second butterfly area before I quit (for now). The dynamic lighting/vision cone works brilliantly. Love the way the enemies work. Moody feel to the whole game is just perfect (I get creeped out when I hear the enemy appearing noise...brrr).

One or two minor gripes. The characters walking animation looks a little wacky from the front. His body just doesn't seem to move right. The other thing is I found the second butterfly puzzle pretty frustrating, which is why I quit out. Perhaps I was doing something wrong...
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #73 on: Thu, Aug 26, 2010 »
Hey Titch!

Thanks for the praise and suggestions for improvement! :)

I got the following tip from an Admin on FGL:

I do think it should sell well, but I would encourage you to speed the beginning up. It's not about showing the "best bits" in the first minute, necessarily... it's about conveying why this lighting model is going to make the game more fun. Based on the first minute of gameplay it looks like a maze game... sponsors don't historically pay a lot for maze games. And as you've seen, they make up their mind about games very quickly.

In case anyone of you who played it have a suggestion how to improve the beginning without introducing the Darkspawn (eyes-in-the-dark) earlier I'm all ears.

Threeli

• Making games, or something.
    • View Profile
    • Threeli.com
« Reply #74 on: Thu, Aug 26, 2010 »
I cannot stress how much I enjoy this little gem.  Seems like you got most of the ingredients just right: I'm not sure it counts for much, but I think this could be a retail game if you wanted it to be.

Overall I think there is still room for polish, but I enjoyed what there was to enjoy!
http://www.threeli.com - I make games, or something like games.

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wed, Sep 1, 2010 »
Hey Titch!

Thanks for the praise and suggestions for improvement! :)

I got the following tip from an Admin on FGL:

I do think it should sell well, but I would encourage you to speed the beginning up. It's not about showing the "best bits" in the first minute, necessarily... it's about conveying why this lighting model is going to make the game more fun. Based on the first minute of gameplay it looks like a maze game... sponsors don't historically pay a lot for maze games. And as you've seen, they make up their mind about games very quickly.

In case anyone of you who played it have a suggestion how to improve the beginning without introducing the Darkspawn (eyes-in-the-dark) earlier I'm all ears.

Well I don't know how work heavy it would be, but doing something like Aquarius 'gauntlet run' in the first few minutes would probably work. You send the player through very very difficult section of the game, but death and survival both just push you forward into the next scene. Presented as some kind of dream/nightmare.
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Hectate

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wed, Sep 1, 2010 »
Half-Life 2 had a similar thing near the beginning. Enemies shooting at you while you ran through apartments and across rooftops. Most people never realize though, that as intense as that section is, you're never in any danger. Bullets will cause the "pain" effects if they happen to hit you (visual and auditory), but will never kill you (in fact, at that point there's still no HUD). Also, I believe that it's not possible to fall off the rooftops either.

An introductory scene like thay can really set the mood.
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #77 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Rune Hunt has finally gone GOLD! Yay!

Reading the first comments people seem to hate it but, well... I'm not sure yet what I think about it. Let's see what people say that actually have played it a bit longer!

Blogpost here: http://pixelpracht.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/rune-hunt-released/
Play it here: http://armorgames.com/play/6963/rune-hunt
« Last Edit: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 by lithander »

OmegaStorm

• View Profile
    • OmegaStorm Productions
Re: Rune Hunt [Released]
« Reply #78 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
I played it awhile back and I enjoyed it. I did manage to kill myself at a certain point in the game and had to play through it again to get the proper ending. Didn't know the game would actually end the first time when I did it (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).

vonWolfehaus

• View Profile
    • Cold Constructs
Re: Rune Hunt [Released]
« Reply #79 on: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 »
Hey Lithander! CONGRATS on finally releasing! It's been a while man but I'm glad to see you followed it through. It's a quality release and I enjoyed playing it, even though it wasn't my style as much :) Good luck with the reception, that's the "fun" part ;)
Meet Obama every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/