Author Topic: The Great Minimum [finished]  (Read 2725 times)

Berzee

• View Profile
The Great Minimum [finished]
« on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Behold: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Berzee/the-great-minimum

I took forever making this, so it may be using some outdated things, but FUN is never outdated, amirite?

What say you? =P

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
Re: The Great Minimum [finished]
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
I love the graphic but not the game that much because it's kinda vague what I have to do and had to get to most of it blindly and controls could get more solid and a little faster.

I think it should give hints (not ones like the h key does now) after the is stuck after some certain time, due to nature type of flash games.

and you may want to disable the debug mode ("`" key) ;)
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Duly noted =) The next game I make I hope will be a lot more of a "gamey" one.

Was there any particular part you got stuck on, or just the vagueness all through? I may do another update to add appropriate hints at sticking points

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Duly noted =) The next game I make I hope will be a lot more of a "gamey" one.

I'm sorry if I was a little harsh, I rather see you create a good game rather than just saying something nice.
And don't get me wrong, I played games that follow this concept that they tell a story or a poem via an interactive type of game and I liked some of them.

Was there any particular part you got stuck on, or just the vagueness all through? I may do another update to add appropriate hints at sticking points

I was not sure about the whole thing, I found it vague. But I appreciate your hard work, I'm an avid gamer and programmer and instantly understand your detailed hard work on the game, from the staircase and the small arrow to everything that I understood but I think if you want to reach a wider audience, your game needs more polish on this matter.

But it's just my opinion and English is not my native language, maybe others find it fit.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
No worries, I enjoy any comments =) and yours are not unreasonably harsh. The pixel artist in me is happy enough that you love the graphics, that the game designer in my will not be too saddened. ;-)

(My main reason for wanting to make a "gamey" game next is because this heavily-scripted storytelling can be rather contemplative, but it sure is sloooow going. Takes a lot of minutes of programming to get a perfectly-timed bird chirp o_O)

To give some more explanation -- not a defense, just some backstory ;) -- when I started this I asked myself "What's a poem I love but that seems really tricky to make into a game format?" and I settled on this one as a challenge. I am trying to get better at making games out of strange source material so that some day I can try to properly do The Book of Ruth. =P Anyhow, a lot of the vagueness comes from trying to represent the poem in the gameplay without over-explaining it...but my efforts are pretty bumbling and fumbling, so the more feedback the better. Therefore, I am grateful :D

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
nice.

I think you you want to focus on "poemic"/"artistic" side of a poem, maybe your presentation should follow it too. Picture it as a screenshot, I bet no one with a single glance of your game can guess what type of "game" it is, if it was me I would say it's an adventure. Have you seen Ico or Flower? I'm talking about that kind of thing. Maybe something more abstract or something.

Your pixel art is very lovely ... I can see some parts are better than other parts but it's very lovely, wish I could use some great art like this in my game!
(BTW which program do you use for animating your pixel art?)

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #6 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
I really like it. :) I absolutely LOVE the art. I also liked the "flow" of the game. When you walked towards the bird, it edged way. :)

Berzee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
Thanks, camas! =)

@test84, I use gimp and, because I am too lazy to make gifs, I actually just finish a rough version of the sprite sheet and then view the animations by starting up my flixel project =P it's a lot easier to shuffle frames around in there, and when I have it how I like it, it's already programmed in ;)

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #8 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
Gimp is awesome. I use it too.

Umz

« Reply #9 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
I think it should give hints (not ones like the h key does now) after the is stuck after some certain time, due to nature type of flash games.

I do agree with this; the way the first bird waltz up to the door and started knocking is a clear indication of what to do next, perhaps the telescope should be flashing or glinting etc.

I really like it. :) I absolutely LOVE the art. I also liked the "flow" of the game. When you walked towards the bird, it edged way.

Other than that Camas is right, I think the way the birds burst into action is great :D it adds alot of excitement to the gameplay.

This is good, I think it is a complete game, perhaps just needs a little polishing [ic:mariostar] to be perfect lol.

Kytin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 »
I didn't really get the poem, but I appreciate the artistry. Kind of like Today I Die, even though The Great Minimum didn't speak to me like it did.
I have seen the future. You will not.

noFunk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 »
Liked this game a lot, nice one Berzee!
I think you should have made the house slightly visible during the part where the lights go out, other than that very cool.