development > releases

XM Template with NES samples

(1/4) > >>

01010111:
Hey guys, I wanted to make a template for making fake-bit Nintendo XM files for use with FlodXM and Flixel, and thought I would share it with the rest of you:

NES_in_XM.zip

There aren't many samples because I wanted to keep it as small as possible, but it's still possible to make some cool NES style tunes with it while keeping the filesize of your game super tiny.  :)

I hope someone gets some use out of this!

test84:
Lovely, even though I'm not sure how I can use them, I loved the sample music, anything retro can make me happy!

Thanks for sharing it.

1) On which trackers you recommend using these on?

2) Which tracker is more n00b friendly? a.k.a have arpegiators and stuff that helps a newbie. (I tried A LOT of trackers, from LSDJ up to ModPlug ones, I couldn't get my head around them but I had some success with FL Studio in the past but I want to create an authentic chiptune which I can't do with Live or FL)

01010111:

--- Quote ---1) On which trackers you recommend using these on?
--- End quote ---

I really love Milkytracker. If I were you, I'd try out a few and see which ones you like the most. The important thing when learning how to use trackers is not to get overwhelmed. I know a lot of people get hung up on the instrument creation part, so I'm hoping this can also help people that are totally new to tracking.

A few tips for new users:

* You may already know this, but for those EXTREMELY new to tracking, you input a lot of data in hexidecimal format, the values go from 0-F (0 - 16 = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F), so 00 would be equal to 0 and FF would be equal to 128
* Switch back and forth from "record" mode to "demo" mode if you aren't totally sure which note you want to come next, this way you aren't constantly entering notes and deleting them, but you can find the right note and then go into record mode and enter it. (In Milkytracker, you can switch modes with the [SPACE] key).
* Look in the documentation for the effect list, and keep it open. A lot of older trackers have the help embedded in the UI which can get frustrating switching between the pattern and help views.
* Some of my most often used effects: 0XY (arpeggio), 1XX (Pitch ramp up), 2XX (Pitch ramp down), 3XX (Slide to note)
* if you're unsure what a button does, save your work and just press it. Most of the time it's more straightforward than you might think.

test84:
Thanks and thanks for the tips, maybe this makes me go back again (and again and again ... I've done this like 10 times already with different setups) to tracking and learn from it.

One more thing, is there any way to keep notes on a scale in a tracker? since I'm don't know scales by heart, you can fix notes you put in Ableton Live to be in one (or more) scale(s), so you won't play an out-of-scale note in your song. Same thing for bass and strings.

01010111:
Aside from grinding the notes/keys of the scale into your brain when sequencing, I don't think so :/

Although I do often keep my fingers on specific keys when I figure out a melody or chord progression I like just so I can input it in faster :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version