Author Topic: XM Template with NES samples  (Read 12566 times)

• View Profile
XM Template with NES samples
« on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Hey guys, I wanted to make a template for making fake-bit Nintendo XM files for use with FlodXM and Flixel, and thought I would share it with the rest of you:

NES_in_XM.zip

There aren't many samples because I wanted to keep it as small as possible, but it's still possible to make some cool NES style tunes with it while keeping the filesize of your game super tiny.  :)

I hope someone gets some use out of this!

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
Re: XM Template with NES samples
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Lovely, even though I'm not sure how I can use them, I loved the sample music, anything retro can make me happy!

Thanks for sharing it.

1) On which trackers you recommend using these on?

2) Which tracker is more n00b friendly? a.k.a have arpegiators and stuff that helps a newbie. (I tried A LOT of trackers, from LSDJ up to ModPlug ones, I couldn't get my head around them but I had some success with FL Studio in the past but I want to create an authentic chiptune which I can't do with Live or FL)
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
1) On which trackers you recommend using these on?

I really love Milkytracker. If I were you, I'd try out a few and see which ones you like the most. The important thing when learning how to use trackers is not to get overwhelmed. I know a lot of people get hung up on the instrument creation part, so I'm hoping this can also help people that are totally new to tracking.

A few tips for new users:

• You may already know this, but for those EXTREMELY new to tracking, you input a lot of data in hexidecimal format, the values go from 0-F (0 - 16 = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F), so 00 would be equal to 0 and FF would be equal to 128
  • Switch back and forth from "record" mode to "demo" mode if you aren't totally sure which note you want to come next, this way you aren't constantly entering notes and deleting them, but you can find the right note and then go into record mode and enter it. (In Milkytracker, you can switch modes with the [SPACE] key).
  • Look in the documentation for the effect list, and keep it open. A lot of older trackers have the help embedded in the UI which can get frustrating switching between the pattern and help views.
  • Some of my most often used effects: 0XY (arpeggio), 1XX (Pitch ramp up), 2XX (Pitch ramp down), 3XX (Slide to note)
  • if you're unsure what a button does, save your work and just press it. Most of the time it's more straightforward than you might think.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Thanks and thanks for the tips, maybe this makes me go back again (and again and again ... I've done this like 10 times already with different setups) to tracking and learn from it.

One more thing, is there any way to keep notes on a scale in a tracker? since I'm don't know scales by heart, you can fix notes you put in Ableton Live to be in one (or more) scale(s), so you won't play an out-of-scale note in your song. Same thing for bass and strings.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 »
Aside from grinding the notes/keys of the scale into your brain when sequencing, I don't think so :/

Although I do often keep my fingers on specific keys when I figure out a melody or chord progression I like just so I can input it in faster :)

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
To anyone who doesn't even want to try his instrument, get the file and listen to his example tune, it's SO lovely ...

Dude your musical talent is superb, I really loved your sample music. (and strange techniques u used there!)

----

I'm starting to find my way around MilkyTracker, as you suggested and it's way better than I was scared of trackers before, I was opening tons of .xm files from the scene and I got some questions:

1- how some of them manage really long arpeggiations? ( I mean long melodies that are probably machine created because they seem like a long scale), is there any tool so I can use? I know a similar tool in FL Studio and something slightly different in Live exist.

2- How one should play bass for a melody? I can play melody and drums by guts but I have no idea how to do the bass, and yes, I hate music theory.

3- Is there any advice on how to create fun/8-bit melodies? So my songs would not just sound like 8-bit but feel like it too? Are there special scales that these scene guys use[d] most?

thanks man, you got me started.
« Last Edit: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 by test84 »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Jan 22, 2012 »
1- how some of them manage really long arpeggiations? ( I mean long melodies that are probably machine created because they seem like a long scale), is there any tool so I can use? I know a similar tool in FL Studio and something slightly different in Live exist.

2- How one should play bass for a melody? I can play melody and drums by guts but I have no idea how to do the bass, and yes, I hate music theory.

3- Is there any advice on how to create fun/8-bit melodies? So my songs would not just sound like 8-bit but feel like it too? Are there special scales that these scene guys use[d] most?

Hey, I'm really glad that you're enjoying yourself! I started off with FLStudio (version 2, I still use it as my main DAW now), so I understand that initial mind**** that people get when looking at a tracker interface for the first time.

• I'm not 100% sure that I understand the question, but I'm guessing you're talking about an arpeggio with more than 3 notes? I'd say to try speeding the tempo up a bit so you can get higher resolution when entering notes. You could also try just adding a new note directly after the first one, so if you wanted to play a Cmin through two octaves, you could enter C-4 037, and then C-5 037 right after it.
  • Bass is pretty easy if you're sticking to the root of the melody. You could try humming while your melody plays and try to simplify your hum to just a few notes. You're just trying to find the root of your melody, and maybe add some progression. That seems to be the easiest way of doing it. After you get those initial notes, you can make it more complicated by playing it in a few octaves, adding a few notes, just whatever sounds right.
  • I just like to try and get into the right mindset - listen to some demoscene tunes, play some videogames, think about ULTIMATE JUSTICE and UNRELENTING POWAH!

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Jan 22, 2012 »
dude I'm listening to your sample tune non-stop! It's so lovely ...

By arpeggios I didn't mean the effect in trackers, but the one we have like in Fl Studio, how to make a melody so it would sound the  way we want, I have to learn scales, right?

And does .XM files from MilkyTracker play 100% accurate in FlodXM?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 »
It would definitely help you out to just familiarize yourself with scales, I wouldn't say it's essential to know them inside out, but just going over them a bit might help you out with learning how different notes relate to each other in that context.

As far as the samples, effects, and envelopes go, I'm pretty sure they run pretty close to perfect (I've tested out most of the effects, envelopes and looping modes myself), but I will say that playback seems to boost the highs in the frequency spectrum.

I'm glad you're enjoying the demo tune I made :)

auriplane

• Snails!!
  • Contributor
  • Snails!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 »
I figured I'd try learning this, since I could stuff a lot more music in a game this way!

Here's a song I made for my last game in Famitracker: http://www.auriplane.net/marecarelia.mp3
And here's an XM conversion I made in Milkytracker: http://auriplane.net/MareCarelia.xm

I think it sounds okay!  It's my first time using Milkytracker, and maybe if I get a little more used to it I'll get better at fine-tuning stuff...  I used your template, but then I ended up replacing the drums. 

Here's a SWF of what it sounds like in FlodXM!  http://auriplane.net/MareCareliaTestFlodXM.swf

The XM only adds 22356 bytes to the SWF after compression, as opposed to 328K for a looping MP3.  At that rate, I could stick in how ever much music I wanted!!  Whee!
« Last Edit: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 by auriplane »

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 »
I like your song! good job!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wed, Feb 15, 2012 »
I figured I'd try learning this, since I could stuff a lot more music in a game this way!

Here's a song I made for my last game in Famitracker: http://www.auriplane.net/marecarelia.mp3
And here's an XM conversion I made in Milkytracker: http://auriplane.net/MareCarelia.xm

I think it sounds okay!  It's my first time using Milkytracker, and maybe if I get a little more used to it I'll get better at fine-tuning stuff...  I used your template, but then I ended up replacing the drums. 

Here's a SWF of what it sounds like in FlodXM!  http://auriplane.net/MareCareliaTestFlodXM.swf

The XM only adds 22356 bytes to the SWF after compression, as opposed to 328K for a looping MP3.  At that rate, I could stick in how ever much music I wanted!!  Whee!

Sounds excellent! I'm not sure if the licensing has changed since the original FLOD Pro was released, but I think Christian Corti is asking for a donation of $5 for using FLOD in commercial products. A cheap price to pay for drastically reducing the filesize of games!

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #12 on: Wed, Mar 14, 2012 »
This gives me a good Idea of how to set up MilkyTracker I was finding it out by trail and error. But this seems to work quite well... but I'll want new samples, modern times y'know =)

Thinking about using a nice software synth like Alchemy,  Massive etc to make some waves, but I don't fully understand the restrictions on the samples. What do you know about them?
If you aint got no dedication, you won't get no education!

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #13 on: Fri, Mar 16, 2012 »
how come when I load up a .mod file I exported from MilkyTracker always sounds like crap in my Game (using Flod) ? Even when I export your Demo, sounds totaly off... grr

What am I missing here?!

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #14 on: Sat, Mar 17, 2012 »
Aaaaahhhhh.... enlightenment has come to me =)

So FlodXM is a different library... does anyone have a clean flixel setup for it?

I was using the version that came with the powertools and that is only for MOD files, just to note that to anyone having the same issue ... and sorry for being rude

auriplane

• Snails!!
  • Contributor
  • Snails!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sat, Mar 17, 2012 »
I'm using FlodXM.  I think the new version of Flod contains FlodXM, though I haven't used it.

I did send the author this mail, so if you use FlodXM, you might want to add in this fix:

Code: [Select]
Hi!

A couple of my testers have had sound trouble on their computers.  When their computer can't play any sound, then sound.play() in FlodXM
returns null.  But FlodXM assumes it doesn't return null, so it gets a null object reference error, and the whole game breaks.

Line 60 in FlodXM.as:

soundChan = sound.play(soundPos);
      soundChan.addEventListener(Event.SOUND_COMPLETE, completeHandler);

soundChan is null after the first line, because their computer doesn't have any sound.  I added this line to handle the error:

if (!soundChan) return 0;

So my whole function looks like this:

public function play(processor:Sound = null):int {
      if (!version) return 0;
      if (soundPos == 0.0) initialize();
      sound = processor || new Sound();
      sound.addEventListener(SampleDataEvent.SAMPLE_DATA, mixer.mix);

soundChan = sound.play(soundPos);
      if (!soundChan) return 0;
      soundChan.addEventListener(Event.SOUND_COMPLETE, completeHandler);
      soundPos = 0.0;
      return 1;
    }

Now my alpha test works for those people who don't have sound :-)

-Crystal

c023-DeV

• Game Artisan
    • View Profile
    • DeV-ZoO
« Reply #16 on: Sun, Mar 18, 2012 »
Yieks, thats cool but how does the rest work? =(

EDIT

I've moved my issue here to not spam this thread, would be nice if someone could help me out:
http://forums.flixel.org/index.php/topic,6114.0.html
« Last Edit: Sun, Mar 18, 2012 by c023-DeV »

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sat, Aug 4, 2012 »
Hey guys! I've revamped this template with some samples released by virt - it sounds a whole lot better, but I could only get the filesize down to 100k (originally >750k with all of his samples included).

x01010111.com - Chiptune Template - Making Nintendo Music in XM

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, Aug 5, 2012 »
Great news!

GameNotes

« Reply #19 on: Thu, Jul 7, 2016 »
I've been using MilkyTracker for over a year now, and I'm really glad I found this page, because I wouldn't know how to make drums, heh

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be okay if I used this XM template in the music for the game I'm developing, Electric Storm. (The game is pretty ambitious, and it may or may not ever be released... hopefully it will, but no matter what, I at least want to release the soundtrack.) I most likely won't end up making any profit off of it, although at this point I'm not sure about that yet; I might end up doing just that, haha

Either way, here's a few examples of the songs I've been making. If it's not ok with you, that's fine; I can always go into the songs and create drums from scratch. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKKP9GsrX8