Author Topic: 8 Flixel Tutorials  (Read 8607 times)

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
8 Flixel Tutorials
« on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »

A couple months ago we started publishing Flixel tutorials and classes, so we thought now is a good time to do a quick roundup.

In case you missed any of them, here’s all 8 tutorials in quick list form!

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
Re: 8 Flixel Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
Very nice collection. I especially like the fullscreen mode tutorial. What's going to be next?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
Thanks for sharing, I'm following your blog actually.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
They are very useful tutorials. :)

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Jan 19, 2012 »
Cheers guys. And I thought I was the only one test! It's a special (aka small) club  ;D

Very nice collection. I especially like the fullscreen mode tutorial. What's going to be next?

Not sure really... so far I've mostly been writing up stuff I already figured out for my projects. Playtomic leaderboards once they fix their servers maybe?

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #5 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
Playtomic leaderboards once they fix their servers maybe?

Yeah, this is an interesting topic, unfortunately they don't work reliably for me too. In my case I've had to switch to GamerSafe leaderboards and use Playtomic for analytics only.

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
How are you liking Gamersafe? I've been looking for a good alternative to switch, but what turns me off is that it creates its own branded popup and asks users to type in a name. I liked about Playtomic that they let you handle the naming on your end and integrate it seamlessly into the game.

I also looked at Scoreoid, but they don't have an SDK so managing all the send/received data is up to you which is annoying and also don't offer metrics. And then there's Mochi but I don't want to be tied in to their other stuff plus again they have their own popup thingy.

For my current game I even ended up just making a stupid custom php script that logs data to a database to get some metrics because I was getting nothing from Playtomic. But that was just for a limited test release, I can't handle the traffic a full release would generate so I need a new solution.  ???

Use It Better also looks interesting but haven't had enough time to take a close look.

Anyways, I don't feel like writing a tutorial for a broken service, so if anybody has positive experiences with any other metrics & leaderboards services I'd really love to hear them  ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 by wg/funstorm »

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
Re: 8 Flixel Tutorials.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
In my game Mail Sorter I've combined Playtomic for metrics and GamerSafe for leaderboards. Mainly because Playtomic leaderboards were not working.

From my experience GamerSafe is really OK. Also, you don't have to use their popup (at least if you're using no-login leaderboards). In Mail Sorter I create my own score submit popup and send the result to GamerSafe myself (you can look it up on Kongregate). I haven't used any other functionalities, like achievements or microtransactions. It's worth noting that GamerSafe services were down for some time lately.

I've also checked Scoreid for another game but their API was not elastic enough for me (I needed a separate leaderboard for every level). Both GamerSafe and Playtomic support this kind of functionality.

dkwmfkdof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
WOW! Thanks for sharing. nice collection!
 :D

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 »
Interesting... I'll have to give them a closer look. Troubling about the downtime though... it's hard to tell how happy/unhappy people are with their service because they don't have any forums their site. Unlike Playtomic where you can see all the complaints. I did check out their section on FGL though and generally it looks less problematic. Only 1 way to really find out I guess...

KunoNoOni

• "Never tell me the odds"
  • Code is Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 »
Yes thank you for sharing, have learned a lot from your tutorials :)

-KunoNoOni

mol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Feb 17, 2012 »
Im having a bit of trouble with the fullscreen tutorial.

i can manage to get a fullscreen in a browser, but im having some trouble to get it to work with the keyboard, could you give me some imput on how to solve this?

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #12 on: Fri, Feb 17, 2012 »
i can manage to get a fullscreen in a browser, but im having some trouble to get it to work with the keyboard, could you give me some imput on how to solve this?

Because of security reasons, you cannot activate fullscreen with keypress in web Flash Player. Also, keypresses won't work in fullscreen (only ESC key). Currently only AIR applications support keyboard in fullscreen but if I recall correctly, there are plans to add it also to web Flash Player. But I may be wrong.

mol

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sun, Feb 19, 2012 »
well that sucks  :'(, i guess the only choice i have is to move my proyect to air

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #14 on: Thu, Mar 1, 2012 »
Wow! I stumbled upon these tutorials and found them to be informative, well-explained and covering issues that I will probably be faced with at some point in the near future! Great work! Thanks! ;)

huhwhozat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tue, Apr 3, 2012 »
I'm having trouble loading your blog (404's).  Is it down, or is it just my junk-ternet?

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, Apr 3, 2012 »
it's fine here.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut: