Author Topic: v2.5 Planning Thread  (Read 39583 times)

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
v2.5 Planning Thread
« on: Wed, Dec 9, 2009 »
flixel v2.5: BIG PLANS

HAHA I released 2.0 and it has almost NONE of this stuff in it.  LE SIGH.  This stuff is all still on my radar for Rad Things To Add in the future though!

> improved collision resolution, possibly box2d (note: the quad tree works great though)
> more debugging tools (sliders, better console, bounding boxes)
> pathfinding utility
> some kind of magical light network thingy for online multiplayer
> multi camera system (e.g. split screen stuff)
> non-MP3 sound format support (SID?  MOD?  Musagi?  SFXR?)
> tilemaps: wrapping/repeating
« Last Edit: Mon, Feb 15, 2010 by Adam Atomic »

PaulGene

• View Profile
    • PaulGenehompson
Re: v1.5 Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
hello Adam :)

Could you please add this to FlxLayers:

Code: [Select]
//@desc Removes a FlxCore subclass (FlxSprite, FlxBlock, etc) from the list of children
//@param Core The object you want to remove
virtual public function remove(Core:FlxCore):void
{
_children.remove(Core, true);
}

I'm using it in my Flixel Box2d intergration http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=560.0

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #2 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
yea i have to work on state cleanup stuff today, that should be in before v1.4 with any luck :)

Markham

« Reply #3 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
A function to adjust hue, saturation, and luminance in sprites and layers would be cool.  Not having to think about figuring out ColorMatrixFilter's array format would make many effects and transitions easier.

Gigaclon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
im working on grid-based games will post more infomation and code later

Richard Kain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
I'm currently working on integrating a lip-sync solution with Flixel. I'm mainly going to just port over an earlier solution I had created for an earlier project, and refine it up a bit. The biggest chore is getting it to work with Flixel's timing calculations. I had previously gotten it working with the Tweener class. But if I want it to work properly with Flixel, I would need to incorporate Flixel's time calculations and updating loops.

I'll post my prototype when I have something working. If it works well enough, and there is enough interest, I would be fine with it being incorporated into a later Flixel build.

PaulGene

• View Profile
    • PaulGenehompson
« Reply #6 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
Can we have this added to FlxG please!

Code: [Select]
static public function ChangeBackgroundColor(color:uint):void
{
_game._bgColor = color;
}

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #7 on: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 »
yea it'll be in 1.36+ :)

Socapex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
I'd love tilesheets now  ::) Also, there's some code on forums to identify colliding when using hitFloor, hitCeilig etc... it would be quite sweet to have that eventually (since anyways you've already stated you wanted that feature). Thumbs up and gbye.
Free cake every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Re: v2.0 Planning Thread
« Reply #9 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
I'll look into tilesheets right now, I forgot about those!  I'm not sure what you mean by colliding stuff though, there are currently tile index callbacks and hit*() get a contact reference as well?

Socapex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
I was refering to this http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=503.0, but as I read it, I see you've already added the feature...  oupsi  :-X
Free cake every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

PaulGene

• View Profile
    • PaulGenehompson
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
Adam, just noticed on the list "Box2D integration" ... so rather than you do it from scratch i can send you my code if you want, and you can use that as somewhere to start.

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #12 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
Ummm i may bug you for that, this won't be something I'll move on for a month or something at least, I have to check out the AS3 port and see how it's structured to see if I can roll it in without significantly changing or damaging the API's simplicity

PaulGene

• View Profile
    • PaulGenehompson
« Reply #13 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
Yeah the problem is always going to be not over complicating flixel because of it.

The way im doing it now doesn't interfere with your current system though, its just some extra classes that give you the option of creating extended box2d flixel sprites instead of normal flixel sprites.

If you use a flixel sprite it will work as always with flixel physics and collisions, but the box2d flixel sprites use box2d for physics and collisions.. you can mix the 2 in the same game.

So rather than change flixels easy to use system, it just gives the extra option of using box2d... of course creating a box2d sprite is slightly more complex... but there is no way arround that.

lithander

• View Profile
    • pixelpracht
« Reply #14 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
I'll probably have something more relevant to say when my experience level with Flixel has increased beyond "newcomer" level but here are my first reactions to the points you mentioned:

> pathfinding utility

Pathfinding solutions are very game dependant imo. A top down tile based game is very easy to represent as a graph and thus easily searchable with a standard Dijkstra or A*. But a lot of users of Flixel seem to be making Platformers. Pathfinding on a platformer type game might be a lot less straight forward. Are you looking for a generalized approach that's going to cover (almost) any type of game?

> some kind of line of sight or ray utility

Implementing that right now for a game flixel inspired me to start. Gonna post a playable something soonish. It'll be a pretty generic solution (would work well for platformers too) - if that's really something you'll want to integrate in flixel and you like how it turned out shoot me a message.

> some kind of magical light network thingy for online multiplayer

Flash doesn't support P2P (at least not yet) so you'll always need a server to connect to. Would you plan to develop a "Flixel Server" i.e. a application intended to run at the backend? Would it be something users have to host themselves? I think for most it's easier to hook up with a specialized portal like Nonoba and use their Api! :)

Speaking of magical light. I think it'd be cool if it were easier to implement lighting. Build in support for some kind of multipass rendering that combines layers based on the different BlendModes flash allready supports would be nice. This goes a bit in the direction of the Post-FX.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ~Leonardo Da'Vinci

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #15 on: Fri, Dec 11, 2009 »
Speaking of magical light. I think it'd be cool if it were easier to implement lighting. Build in support for some kind of multipass rendering that combines layers based on the different BlendModes flash allready supports would be nice. This goes a bit in the direction of the Post-FX.

You can totally do this as of maybe v1.30-ish :)  It takes a little bit of thought but it's pretty easy.  You basically create a big black box the size of the screen using FlxSprite.createGraphic(), and then render light masks to it using FlxSprite.blend = "screen" and getScreenXY().  Then render the black box with .blend = "multiply" and fidget with its alpha value :)  I have a demo working for a secret project that let's you walk around a moonlit room with a flashlight, it's pretty rad!

mklee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 »
The tile idea from the TIGSource thread is fantastic. Hoping to see that implemented soon!

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #17 on: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 »
Yea I think I'm gonna put it in tonight :P gonna make a simple PNG parser to go along with it too i think (so you can draw your binary maps)

syndrome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 »
I'd like to contribute a couple of classes I wrote to convert values between RGB and HSB color models, if you're interested.

Btw, I worked on complex request/response cross-language (TCP/IP) socket communication layers many times before. It shouldn't be that hard to adapt some of that code, and even to harness the new UDP socket (AIR only, I think, but that's great news anyway) for some real game networking :)

I'd still have to find some free time for this, though.
« Last Edit: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 by syndrome »
:: 5mnths Flixel addict :: 6yrs in the IT biz :: 9yrs AS(0/1/2/3) nerd :: 13yrs gfx :: 18yrs old nick :: 21yrs music :: 24yrs coding :: 26yrs computer gaming :: 30yrs old geek :: 31yrs+ ahead of time, and counting :: [04/30/10] ::

Adam Atomic

• Founder
  • Key Contributor
  • new dad
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #19 on: Mon, Dec 14, 2009 »
those color converters would definitely come in useful!  i have specific plans for them even, but not for a few months still