Author Topic: flixel-android 0.4 release  (Read 12197 times)

Wing Eraser

flixel-android 0.4 release
« on: Sat, Jul 7, 2012 »
DOWNLOAD

http://www.wingeraser.com/flixelandroid/flixel-android.apk

Source: https://code.google.com/p/flixel-android/

Hello community,

Itís been a while, but finally a new release of flixel-android. I think version 0.4 is good enough to build games. Of course there are still missing pieces. Some are maybe crucial for your game requirements, like perfect pixel collision and blending options.

The changes in a quick overview from the previous release to the latest:
Added
- FlxTimer: done.
- AFlxTimer for callback for FlxTimer
- TimerManager: done.
- FlxAnalog: not finished.
- DebugPathDisplay: done.
- FlxDebugger: only Perf added.
- Perf: done.
- FlxGamePad: 4 direction buttons and 4 action buttons. With layout options.
- IMouseSubject and IMouseObserver: general event listener for mouse inputs.

Updated
- FlxPath: everything implemented.
- FlxTilemap: evertyhing implemented.
- FlxText: only thing that is missing is addGlow.
Added support of truetype font.
- FlxButton: evertyhing implemented.
- FlxG: added vibration and sensor support.
- FlxCamera: added support for multiple cameras.
- libgdx: 0.9.6: gdx-freetype-natives.jar is a modified version.

Demos
- ReplayDemo
- FlxTilemapDemo
- SaveDemo
- Vibrationdemo
- Mode
- SplitscreenDemo
- SensorDemo
- TimerDemo
- FlxInvaders
- AnalogDemo
- PathFinderDemo

In the previous version some of the classes were still in the first phase. Now they have far more the same behavior as the original flixel. Good examples to show the new features would be Mode, SplitscreenDemo, FlxInvaders and PathFinderDemo. Not to forget, a bunch of bugs has been fixed. The bugs that are still open are not-that-so important.

I hope you like the game pad. It action buttons got the color of flixelís logo. The demos that implemented the game pad are FlxInvaders and Tilemap2.

Note: Mode doesnít have gamepad implemented. If you wait long enough a demo will play. However, rendering a level on the phone takes some time.

Iím going to write a wiki page and some basic tutorials.

In the next release Iíll try to do something about javaís reflection. I want to replace it to get HTML5 support working. I also want to take a look at the blending, asset manager (for preloading purpose), pixel format option and box2d.

I forgot to generate a java-doc  :-X

Questions below.

zaphod

• View Profile
Re: flixel-android 0.4 release
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
Hello, Wing Eraser
That's very interesting project. I'm interested about your plans on this port since I'm planning to write Haxe external classes for it (not in the near future).

Wing Eraser

« Reply #2 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
Hello, Wing Eraser
That's very interesting project. I'm interested about your plans on this port since I'm planning to write Haxe external classes for it (not in the near future).

Hello zaphod,
My plans? Very simple, developing a cross platform game-engine with the famous flixel. If people are allergic for Java, then Haxe coulde be option I guess. The syntax looks like AS3. I never tried Haxe before, so I can not give such a great comparison.

Good luck with porting :)

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser by "plans" I meant "what features you didn't implement and will do it?"
thanks for the wishes. I'm working on Haxe port about a year (https://github.com/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel) and it works pretty well on Flash, Windows, Mac and Android with some restrictions which I'm trying to overcome. And one of the possible ways of it's development is to support your port: output code from Haxe->Java converter could work with it.

Wing Eraser

« Reply #4 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser by "plans" I meant "what features you didn't implement and will do it?"
thanks for the wishes. I'm working on Haxe port about a year (https://github.com/Beeblerox/HaxeFlixel) and it works pretty well on Flash, Windows, Mac and Android with some restrictions which I'm trying to overcome. And one of the possible ways of it's development is to support your port: output code from Haxe->Java converter could work with it.

I see. So you can convert with Haxe to a specific class? Didn't know that. Ok, now my plans.

- box2d
- preloader
- analog stick
- blending options
- there were some couple requests photonstorm's of Power Tools. I don't know yet. I'm not into doing porting again.
« Last Edit: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 by Wing Eraser »

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
Oh, I see that you have almost complete Flixel's functionality. That's great! Maybe I'll try to help you with some of the FlixelPowerTools classes (some of them weren't hard to convert to Haxe for me).

Wing Eraser

« Reply #6 on: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 »
Oh, I see that you have almost complete Flixel's functionality. That's great! Maybe I'll try to help you with some of the FlixelPowerTools classes (some of them weren't hard to convert to Haxe for me).

Yeah, any help is appreciated. I hope more people is going to use flixel-android.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser can I use your gamepad class and it's assets for my port? I'll add credits and to your project

Wing Eraser

« Reply #8 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser can I use your gamepad class and it's assets for my port? I'll add credits and to your project

Sure go ahead. For the assets I only need to add the Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license in the zip file. But I don't have the time doing it now.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser did you created assets or downloaded from a particular site which requires adding license?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #10 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
I've downloaded the buttons and modified it. I lost the url. It was saying free, no license required.
So it should be safe having the buttons in the zip without a license. For flixel it's save too, Adam never included CC license. He only set a MIT license for the whole flixel project.
As for now, So the assets are from flixel and the buttons from a forgotten url.

The reason I want to add the license is that I don't have to be worry about adding other assets that is using CC license.
Be free to use the buttons.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 »
@Wing Eraser Thank you very much  :D

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mon, Jul 16, 2012 »
This project is 'Flixel Android', but presumably the underlying stuff is Java, right? Can this be used in a regular Java program to simulate running a Flixel game?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #13 on: Mon, Jul 16, 2012 »
This project is 'Flixel Android', but presumably the underlying stuff is Java, right? Can this be used in a regular Java program to simulate running a Flixel game?

The program language is Java. You can run it on Android, Desktop (using lwjgl, applet. I've plans to make it runnable for HTML5.

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tue, Jul 17, 2012 »
Ah, I thought it might be linked to specific Android libraries.

I think you might've just saved me weeks of work...

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 »
Don't have an Android device to test it, shame, but just wanted to say good job man.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 »
Just trying to use this now: In the examples, LwjglApplication is not showing up as an available import (this is with all the supplied libs on the build path). Is this a versioning issue on the GDX libs, or is there a lib missing or something?

EDIT - Missing libs were gdx-backend-lwjgl.jar and gdc-backend-lwjgl-natives.jar. All sorted, cheers!

EDIT2 - It also requires gdx-natives.jar to run on the Desktop too.

This is running so great on the Desktop. Thanks a bundle for this, porting is a breeze.
« Last Edit: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 by finalsin »

Wing Eraser

« Reply #17 on: Thu, Jul 19, 2012 »
All required jars are in the zip and also on the repository. You shouldn't have to assign the jars manualy, because they are already set correctly.
Did you do import in Eclipse? See Setup Tutorial on the wiki page.

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Thu, Jul 19, 2012 »
I see all that now. Makes perfect sense, thanks.

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Fri, Jul 20, 2012 »
I'm absolutely stunned at how usable this is. Thanks again for this - I've now ported my game template to the Java version, which is going to help distribution and also my research work too. I really can't thank you enough, I'd basically abandoned part of my work because I needed a Java version of the game engine. I can now go and pursue this again!

One question: I worked on exporting the Desktop version to a runnable jar today. I'd not 'done' libgdx before so this was quite traumatic. In FlxU, there's the following code:

Code: [Select]
static public void openURL(String URL)
{
if (Gdx.app.getType() == ApplicationType.Android)
{
Activity app = (Activity) Gdx.app;
app.startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, android.net.Uri.parse(URL)));
}

These few lines require the inclusion of android.jar into any exported Flixel-Java game, even if exporting for HTML5 or Desktop. Right now that balloons my game from 5mb to 22mb!

I can't think of a workaround and it's not particularly bothering me, but I wondered whether this was an obvious slip-up on my part in how I export my games. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks again for all of the work you did on this. It's terrific.