Author Topic: flixel-android 0.4 release  (Read 12189 times)

Wing Eraser

Re: flixel-android 0.4 release
« Reply #20 on: Fri, Jul 20, 2012 »
You can delete the android.jar from the buildpath (flixel project) and then delete the comment out the code in FlxU.
We have the android.jar inside flixel for opening URL on the phone. We have to talk to the Android SDK to manage that.
If you're only developing for the desktop, you can safely remove it.

You should thank the Flx-A team, not only me.

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 »
I've expanded my use of this beyond app development, and am now hacking a 'headless' version of the library to use in my research and suchlike. I have no idea if it'll ever be of use to anyone but I can put it online somewhere if I ever get it in a usable state. Would there be any interest?

Where might I thank the rest of the team, by the way? It's really saved me so much work.

Wing Eraser

« Reply #22 on: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 »
I've expanded my use of this beyond app development, and am now hacking a 'headless' version of the library to use in my research and suchlike. I have no idea if it'll ever be of use to anyone but I can put it online somewhere if I ever get it in a usable state. Would there be any interest?
I can't say if I'm interest because I don't what you're doing actually. What are you planning to do with the framework?

Where might I thank the rest of the team, by the way? It's really saved me so much work.
When you thanks here, just say thanks flx-a team :) haha

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, Jul 31, 2012 »
Thanks team!  ;D

My research involves analysing platform games, which I've written in flixel-android now. I'm trying to write an AI that can play the games using keyboard inputs, but because I need it to be very fast I've removed all graphical stuff from the games. It currently only uses LibGDX for fake texture creation (just so FlxTilemap calculates tile sizes correctly) and some backend stuff like data types. I imagine it's not very useful to most people but if I get a neat version of it I'll let you know in the thread here.

finalsin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thu, Sep 27, 2012 »
Hey!

This is still working great for me - I'm developing a Flixel-powered game for a December release, and writing a paper that couldn't be possible without flixel-android. Thanks again to everyone!

I have a tiny query: I can't get rid of that FPS display in the top corner of my game. I tried everything, looked at all the debug options. How do I turn it off? :)

Wing Eraser

« Reply #25 on: Thu, Sep 27, 2012 »
hehe ;)

In the latest revision the FPS will only be displayed when the debugger is set to true.

Code: [Select]
FlxGame::draw()

if(FlxG.debug)
{
FlxG.batch.begin();
  FlxG.batch.setProjectionMatrix(FlxG.camera._glCamera.combined);
  FlxG._gl.glScissor(0, 0, Gdx.graphics.getWidth(), Gdx.graphics.getHeight());
  font.draw(FlxG.batch, "fps:"+Gdx.graphics.getFramesPerSecond(), FlxG.width - 45, 0);
  FlxG.batch.end();
}
The code can look different in the version you're using.

I recommend you to use the latest revision, because of improvement in QuadTree.

Jeff

• View Profile
    • Entertainment Evolution
« Reply #26 on: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 »
I'm very interested in trying this out after I've finished my current Flixel project. As I've never programmed anything for mobile (nor owned an android device for that matter), here's a noob question, is this the way to go:
1. Install a JDK (does it matter which version?)
2. Install an IDE (Eclipse? Netbeans? What do you recommend? ) 
3. Set up a new project that uses LWJGL and flixel-android?
4. Make a first test to just check it compiles right.
5. Make the game. :)

If running something on a desktop PC how well does that tell how the game will appear on mobile? Can you somehow better emulate how it would work on a mobile device?
Please give me feedback for my latest game in progress:
Blog: Entertainment Evolution

Wing Eraser

« Reply #27 on: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 »
1. JDK 1.6 (not 1.7)
2. Eclipse: http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/installing-adt.html
You can use Netbeans, but you have to google it how to install the plugin on this IDE.
3. You can use this tool: libgdx-project-setup to create a new project. Hook your core project with flixel-core project. (the wiki on the flixel-android project page is outdated)
4. Create a hello world test or run the examples.
5. Create your hello world in your project.

On PC it will run on the best with 60fps. You'll have to switch to mobile regular when you reach at a crucial point of your project.
You also need to keep in mind with the different resolution of the devices.

v0.5 will be released at end Okt or begin Nov.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Fri, Oct 12, 2012 »
1. JDK 1.6 (not 1.7)
2. Eclipse: http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/installing-adt.html
You can use Netbeans, but you have to google it how to install the plugin on this IDE.
3. You can use this tool: libgdx-project-setup to create a new project. Hook your core project with flixel-core project. (the wiki on the flixel-android project page is outdated)
4. Create a hello world test or run the examples.
5. Create your hello world in your project.

On PC it will run on the best with 60fps. You'll have to switch to mobile regular when you reach at a crucial point of your project.
You also need to keep in mind with the different resolution of the devices.

v0.5 will be released at end Okt or begin Nov.
Okay, thanks for the info. I will have to look into this after this project.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
Another general question by the way: how do you deal with the fact that different devices have different resolutions?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #30 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
Another general question by the way: how do you deal with the fact that different devices have different resolutions?

1. Use the damn slow emulator with different resolution.
2. Run it with desktop and adjust the resolution of the desktop view. The game resolution stays the same. See FlxDesktop.java in the flixel-examples-desktop project.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
1. Use the damn slow emulator with different resolution.
2. Run it with desktop and adjust the resolution of the desktop view. The game resolution stays the same. See FlxDesktop.java in the flixel-examples-desktop project.

Okay thanks for the answer again. I suppose on an actual system that's basically just one line of code to check what the resolution the system has and then you can specify your game according to that. I'll have to dig in to that later on, just going a little bit ahead of things out of curiosity here. :)

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sat, Oct 27, 2012 »
Ok, well I finally got this working but I have one lil problem that I'd like to iron out.   Whenever I do RunAs > Android Application, after the first time I do this (fresh install)   the game runs fine.  After this, I have to Clean the project before I can see any updates I make to the code.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I can enable to streamline this? 

I'm also trying to setup the examples that you put up.  I'm a Android dev noob and I was able to get the automatic setup .jar file to help set up the HelloWorld project but I'm a big lost when it comes to getting all the awesome examples project going.  Any help with doing that would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from messing around with trying to get the examples working.  I also tried to test out the FlxAnalog class without much luck.  Is there something I have to enable before the stick will work?   I added a new FlxAnalog to the stage and it displays fine but doesn't seem to pick up any of my touch events.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
« Last Edit: Sat, Oct 27, 2012 by Retro-Rob »

Wing Eraser

« Reply #33 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
I have to Clean the project before I can see any updates I make to the code.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I can enable to streamline this? 
That's fault of Google, they broke it: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=36174&thanks=36174&ts=1344514616
You'll have to wait for ADT r21. In meanwhile you can open a class in your Android project, hit a space and backspace, do a All Build (Ctrl+B) and run your android app.

FlxAnalog, you found a bug. It doesn't work when one analog stick is on the screen. It will be fixed.
Thanks for using flx-android.

Edit: And the FlxAnalog got fixed, you need to do checkout or wait for a new jar.
« Last Edit: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 by Wing Eraser »

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
It's difficult to get into flixel-android with the setup jar.  It seems like most of the code I'm trying to use from the examples is either updated/outdated as it won't work when I pull it into the project I have from the automatic setup.  Do you plan on updating your examples?

I don't know what a "checkout" is so I guess I'll just wait for a new jar.   Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 by Retro-Rob »

Wing Eraser

« Reply #35 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
You've never used version control before? flixel-android is hosted at Google Code which uses Subversion (SVN), like GIT, you can do a checkout for the latest revision.

http://code.google.com/p/flixel-android/source/checkout

A new jar will come very soon.

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
Whoops, I just put an edit into my previous response right before you posted.

::It's difficult to get into flixel-android with the setup jar.  It seems like most of the code I'm trying to use from the examples is either updated/outdated as it won't work when I pull it into the project I have from the automatic setup.  Do you plan on updating your examples?

I have used SVN with visual studio but I'm not sure how to do it from in eclipse.   Again, I'm super new to this.

Wing Eraser

« Reply #37 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
All examples are always going along with updates. They are used for testing to see if things are broken. You probably downloaded  v0.4 from the download page which is indeed not compatible with the current jars.

A new release will happend at the end of the month.

There is a SVN plugin for Eclipse. I used to use it, but now I simply use TortoiseSVN.

Retro-Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
Yes, i did download the .4 examples I believe.   Is there a place to get the updated examples files?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #39 on: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 »
Doing a checkout lol or wait until the October 31th then a new version will be zipped.