Author Topic: How to test preloader?  (Read 3985 times)

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
How to test preloader?
« on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Hi,

I'm editing my preloader for my sponsor but since my connection is too slow to constantly upload the file and test it, was wondering how I can test how the preloader works while it runs locally from my machine.

Thanks.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

puggsoy

• Not done quite yet
    • View Profile
Re: How to test preloader?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Here's another thread that talked about the same thing: (http://forums.flixel.org/index.php?topic=1886.0).

Unfortunately I think you've got 3, imperfect options. The first is upload it, but apparently that's out of the question. The second is to make a local server on your machine, upload it there, then use something like Firefox Throttle or Sloppy to slow down the download speed. You'll need to clear your cache every time you test it though.
Thirdly, you could make the preloader load according to timed intervals instead of download progress. While this would show your preloader's animation, it wouldn't actually show that your preloader is preloading, so if you want to test that then it isn't an option.

I've looked around a lot for this but unfortunately I can't find anything as convenient as the Flash IDE's "Simulate Download" feature. Honestly Adobe should just add it to the standalone player.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Thanks for the reply,

I've looked around a lot for this but unfortunately I can't find anything as convenient as the Flash IDE's "Simulate Download" feature. Honestly Adobe should just add it to the standalone player.

I have access to Flash CS6 IDE, can I test my flixel game with it? I'm asking cuz I'm making my game with FlashDevelop and it's not in FLA format.

puggsoy

• Not done quite yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Heh, I have access to CS5.5 but to be honest I've never tried it :P
Just now though I had a look and if you open an SWF in Flash it'll run it in the testing window right away, just as if you had an FLA and tested it. From there you go to View -> Download Settings and choose your download speed, then click View -> Simulate Download (or CTRL+Enter) and it'll restart the player, "downloading" the SWF.

I've heard that it isn't really accurate compared to a real connection, but it should be enough if you just want to ensure that your loader's working.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Thanks but how did you open your SWF? Because in File->Open it doesn't accept .SWF and when I drag the SWF into Flash, it tries to import it, which I think it doesn't.

I'm using CS 6 though and never used Flash IDE much, so.

puggsoy

• Not done quite yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
I opened using File -> Open, but I Googled it and apparently Adobe decided to remove the feature in CS6. I don't know why but apparently they did it on purpose, it's "intended behavior". Seriously though?

Your best bet is to try importing the SWF and then testing the movie. If it manages to import it properly it should function the same.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Aug 20, 2012 »
Thanks, I managed to get it work with CS 5, even though it's not working precisely and starts to show the loader from 10% but still better than nothing.