Author Topic: Is anyone out there still maintaining flixel?  (Read 14974 times)

moly

• View Profile
Is anyone out there still maintaining flixel?
« on: Sat, Aug 25, 2012 »
The official flixel project on github hasn't been updated in over a year, despite there being 68 reported issues and 14 pull requests. I've noticed a couple of people have made forks to fix these issues, for example this one: https://github.com/IQAndreas/flixel/ which also includes some organisational improvements and fixes to the input system, and this one: https://github.com/krix/flixel which has a lot of Camera improvements and minor performance fixes.

I'm wondering then if anyone is trying to unify these fixes in any way? Is there a semi-official github project somewhere that has all these patches in one place? It seems the only way to have an "up to date" flixel at the moment is to spend time going through the forums and pull requests and collecting all the different contributions yourself.

The FlashPunk website http://flashpunk.net/download/ is currently linking to a fork of the original project that is being maintained by someone else, why does not flixel not have something similar?

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
Re: Is anyone out there still maintaining flixel?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Aug 27, 2012 »
Yeah, I'm wondering this too. Anybody know?

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Aug 27, 2012 »
It seems that Flixel is on it's own for quite some time. As opposed to FlashPunk, Flixel's community seems much less organized and departure of such personas as AdamAtomic and Photonstorm has sent Flixel into stagnation.

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
Departure? Are they both officially done with it, or just busy with other stuff?

Wing Eraser

« Reply #4 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
Both are pretty gone. According PhotonStorm's blog, he left the AS3 era. He's now working on a HTML5 game engine. About Adam, he's busy taking care of his family I guess, but it would be nice if he make an announcement about the future of flixel.

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
A lot can change in a year, eh? Is anyone leaning towards taking up the torch, or is it sort of a free-for-all right now? Or do we have high hopes for its future?

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
I think it's good for us, though, even if Flixel is dissolving - It's forcing us to make sure we know how to do it all ourselves, legacy style.

test84

• Key Contributor
  • ت
    • View Profile
    • My personal site.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
It would be nice if they would still give advices or so like once in a month, so all the energy that formed flixel would not disappear. There are ports of flixel to other platforms like iOS and Android as well has HTML5 and I'm sure they could give advices as they are some of people that know it best.

It's really sad though.
blog, twitter, Check out my award winning game, Rot Gut:

Dovyski

• View Profile
    • As3GameGears
« Reply #8 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
Hi there! I've just registered so I could add my 2 cents to the discussion :)

I've been using Flixel for the last 6 months and it is amazing. Even though I never worked with it past those 6 months, I followed its development. It was pretty active and I could recognize two "community icons": AdamAtomic (obviously) and Photonstorm.

Those developers are now busy, or away, or working on something else. There is no problem at all. They owe us nothing! I think the Flixel community should stop complaining and start organizing the house. Every Flash game developer out there is a potential committer that can fix bugs, implement new features, make Flixel wheel spin again.

I am planning to start contributing to Flixel, I just don't know how at the moment. Should I create pull requests? Who will merge them? Should I fork Flixel and keep my own version?

I think we should discuss a plan then get our hands dirty. Sorry if my post sounds a little bit rough, I just want Flixel to evolve like everybody else.

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, Aug 29, 2012 »
well, flixel is a code created by Adam Atomic.
His last activity on forums was 8 month ago. So maybe he is busy  doing other stuff.
If anyone wants and can optimize/debug/develop new featues on flixel he should try contact Adam.
I think  you Moly , you want to further develop flixel...
You can also make your own unofficial updates, and post here on forums..

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 »
Adam Atomic answered on his twitter: https://twitter.com/ADAMATOMIC/status/240969878884999168
i'm pretty busy! that's all. flixel is neither abandoned nor expecting an imminent update

moly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thu, Aug 30, 2012 »
flixel is neither abandoned nor expecting an imminent update

That's a pretty vague answer. Not abandoned, but not being updated? I can appreciate being busy but it would only take five minutes to make a forum/blog post explaining the situation like Chevy Ray did for FlashPunk: http://flashpunk.net/2011/08/new-admin-draknek-flashpunk-updates/

Is anyone leaning towards taking up the torch, or is it sort of a free-for-all right now?

From what I can tell it's pretty much a free for all. There are a couple of forks that I linked to in my first post, but they all seem to contain different fixes. Looking through the v3.0 planning thread it seems like Adam was really keen on implementing Stage3D, in which case I guess axel would probably be the closest thing to "taking up the torch", although it's obviously pretty different to flixel.

I think you moly, you want to further develop flixel... You can also make your own unofficial updates, and post here on forums..

I'd be interested in developing a flixel v2.56 that tries to fix most of the bugs in the issues queue and make some other behind the scenes tweaks. A lot of these issues are fixed with only one or two lines, so I think you could probaby do it in just a couple of days. I wouldn't really want to try to develop flixel any further than that though, ie adding new features or making more substantial changes.

nineraser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 »
there are two options here:
talk with adam to pull the bug fixes pending on github, or make a new github with the current version and start updating from there, with adam's permision of course.

nineraser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Fri, Aug 31, 2012 »
anyway, we should have two forks, one with bug fixes only and another with new features.
if Adam returns eventually, he'll can review the new features and see if he want to make them official.

CrazySam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thu, Sep 27, 2012 »
My money is on HaxeFlixel...

From my perspective, the main reason why Photonstorm and Adam haven't been working on Flixel is because they're no longer making money with Flash games, or at least, not enough compared to what they can make by targeting the mobile platform. Adam probably made more bank from the iOS port of Canabalt than all of his Flash games combined (this is speculative, based on the huge amount of press Canabalt got when it came out, as well as my own understanding of the industry). Considering his next venture was to work on an iOS exclusive based on the Hunger Games franchise, I think my speculation has some merit. Waiting for Adam to return and carry Flixel to infinity and beyond is silly, there's very little incentive for him to work within the Flash platform.

It just doesn't make sense to keep developing an engine that caters to a platform that doesn't support business models that can sustain a developer through bigger and bigger projects. Flash Game License is great for what it is, but if you're gonna spend months and months developing a game (oftentimes with a team), making a few thousand, or even a few tens of thousands of dollars isn't a good return for your investment.

Haxe is not a beginner friendly language, and using HaxeFlixel on mobile devices is a little hit or miss right now. Zaphod is the only guy working on that port, and he's been doing a great job! His fork of Flixel contains lots of great snippets of code from the Flixel community. He even did some work implementing hardware acceleration for Sprite rendering, but there's still a long way to go to make the engine perform well on mobile devices.

I'm not trying to sell Haxe, or make it sound like Zaphod's fork is the de facto Flixel repo you should all fork and use. But in order for Flixel to survive, it needs to adapt, it needs to get mobile. HaxeFlixel does that, even if it's a little slow right now.
« Last Edit: Sat, Sep 29, 2012 by CrazySam »

moly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sat, Oct 6, 2012 »
Waiting for Adam to return and carry Flixel to infinity and beyond is silly, there's very little incentive for him to work within the Flash platform.

It just doesn't make sense to keep developing an engine that caters to a platform that doesn't support business models that can sustain a developer through bigger and bigger projects.

I agree that he shouldn't be expected to return to full development. However, seeing as flixel is probably the most well known and widely used Flash game framework currently out there, I kind of feel that he should ensure that the project is still receives basic maintenance in some way. As I've said in my previous posts, I'm not looking for any new features or anything like that, just that the currently reported bugs are addressed. Many of the bugs have fixes already provided for them, so it would take literally 5 minutes to check each one and merge them in. If the problem is purely financial, I would prefer he put ads on his websites or ask for donations or something, rather than simply leaving flixel riddled with major issues.

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
I've been wondering the same thing.

There are so many major bugs in the latest version of Flixel, and it would be great if Adam could just merge all the pull requests that fix them, so that new Flixel users wouldn't have to deal with these bugs.

I'm tempted to just put together my own fork that fixes all these bugs.

I've been working on a bunch of plugins, including a new one for pixel-perfect collision detection and response that I just finished, but it's hard to feel good about releasing them when so much is broken in the current release of Flixel.

Dovyski

• View Profile
    • As3GameGears
« Reply #17 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
I felt exactly like you described, axcho. I share some of the ideas moly just described as well.

For that reason, I tried to contact Adam about Flixel maintenance. He told me he is busy and I understand him. As I posted before, I think we should not rely on him exclusively and we should start doing things by ourselves. Currently moly, IQAndreas and I are working on a community version of Flixel.

Right now the work has been focused on organizing tasks and fixing bugs. We have fixed several of those open issues Flixel has and we are heading to our first release. I would like to invite all developers out there to help us out! Any help is welcome.

I think that an open source project that belongs to a single man is not an open source project, it is a private hobby. Adam is a cool guy and encouraged us to work on a community version. We should just do it!

initials

• Contributor
  • Initials
    • View Profile
    • Initials Blog. Code and other things.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 »
It's a great idea to patch all of the bugs and push it to a new fork of Flixel.

Good luck!
Initials: Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Above The Clouds, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart

axcho

• View Profile
    • Evolution Live!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 »
I felt exactly like you described, axcho. I share some of the ideas moly just described as well.

For that reason, I tried to contact Adam about Flixel maintenance. He told me he is busy and I understand him. As I posted before, I think we should not rely on him exclusively and we should start doing things by ourselves. Currently moly, IQAndreas and I are working on a community version of Flixel.

Right now the work has been focused on organizing tasks and fixing bugs. We have fixed several of those open issues Flixel has and we are heading to our first release. I would like to invite all developers out there to help us out! Any help is welcome.

I think that an open source project that belongs to a single man is not an open source project, it is a private hobby. Adam is a cool guy and encouraged us to work on a community version. We should just do it!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. How do I get started helping with Flixel Community? I'd be happy to contribute.