Author Topic: Is anyone out there still maintaining flixel?  (Read 15220 times)

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone out there still maintaining flixel?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 »
I felt exactly like you described, axcho. I share some of the ideas moly just described as well.

For that reason, I tried to contact Adam about Flixel maintenance. He told me he is busy and I understand him. As I posted before, I think we should not rely on him exclusively and we should start doing things by ourselves. Currently moly, IQAndreas and I are working on a community version of Flixel.

Right now the work has been focused on organizing tasks and fixing bugs. We have fixed several of those open issues Flixel has and we are heading to our first release. I would like to invite all developers out there to help us out! Any help is welcome.

I think that an open source project that belongs to a single man is not an open source project, it is a private hobby. Adam is a cool guy and encouraged us to work on a community version. We should just do it!

So, once things are stable, you'll just push them to your own master, rather than make a pull request at Flixel?

Tap

• Macromedia, we miss you.
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #21 on: Sun, Oct 21, 2012 »
I would like to help with bugs and integration of community-invented classes.  I think it would be cool if thinks like ExternalImage got into a community version of Flixel.  We should definitely include a lot more helpful tools as part of the core package.  It wouldn't make the end result (the published game) any bigger, because the compiler doesn't include unused libraries nor assets.

Also, would it be cool to have a repository of base templates for game types?
Looking to join a talented game dev team as a programmer and/or artist.  Want to make games similar to Rogue Legacy and Terraria.

Dovyski

• View Profile
    • As3GameGears
« Reply #22 on: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. How do I get started helping with Flixel Community? I'd be happy to contribute.

That's outstanding! It's really easy to start contributing: go to Flixel Community project on Github, choose an issue that was not assigned to anyone, fix it than send a pull request  :). In order to send your pull request, just clone the repo, fork the dev branch into a new branch called "fix_issue_N", where N is the number of the issue, and done!

There are several open issues with a "has fix" tag. It means someone already fixed it and there is a pull request waiting to be merged. If you don't want to contribute fixing bugs or sending pull requests, you can help us test those pending pull requests.

If you have any problems or questions, please e-mail me dovyski@gmail.com or post here. It would be a pleasure to help.
« Last Edit: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 by Dovyski »

Dovyski

• View Profile
    • As3GameGears
« Reply #23 on: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 »
So, once things are stable, you'll just push them to your own master, rather than make a pull request at Flixel?

That's something that is not quite clear yet. According to the last time I emailed Adam about Flixel code base, he told me he doesn't feel comfortable allowing external code to be merged into Flixel yet.

I would like to merge all our changes back to Flixel someday, but it will depend on Adam's will. If that does not happen, I would like to keep working on Flixel Community master, periodically merging new features/fixes from Flixel. I think both will remain almost the same, but eventually they will differ when something big got implemented (e.g. add Stage3D support to make Flixel Community hardware accelerated). 

SeiferTim

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Tim's World
« Reply #24 on: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 »
I'd like to help, I just need a crash-course in how to actually use Git first :P

xyroclast

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 »
Git feeds on your frustration. Once you've spent 1000 hours frustrated with git, it becomes a wonderful tool.

goshki

• View Profile
    • Vigeo Games
« Reply #26 on: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 »
Git feeds on your frustration. Once you've spent 1000 hours frustrated with git, it becomes a wonderful tool.

I've spent 999 hours with git but frustration was none. ;P

Dovyski

• View Profile
    • As3GameGears
« Reply #27 on: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 »
I would like to help with bugs and integration of community-invented classes.  I think it would be cool if thinks like ExternalImage got into a community version of Flixel.  We should definitely include a lot more helpful tools as part of the core package.  It wouldn't make the end result (the published game) any bigger, because the compiler doesn't include unused libraries nor assets.

That's great! So far we are working on a maintenance version of Flixel, what means we are not adding anything new, just fixing existing bugs. As soon as we ship this maintenance version, we should start adding new classes and features.

It does not stop you from adding new features and creating pull requests from now :)

Also, would it be cool to have a repository of base templates for game types?

I like it!

Ramontique

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 »
If Flixel would be able to load gfx from a swc file (isntead of EMBED) you could use Scaleform Mobile to port to iOS and Android without any trouble. I managed to get Flashpunk working... Flixel however is another story. I don't have the skills and/or knowledge to convert FlxG.addBitmap to accept classes from a swc.

Maybe someone else can try to make a Flixel version that uses gfx from a swc instead of EMBED?

I would love to keep using Flixel instead Flashpunk; but this small issue is preventing me from making mobile games with Flixel.

zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 »
@Ramontique What changes have you made ​​to FlashPunk to make it work with ScaleForm? Maybe I could help

grisevg

• View Profile
    • Dubit Limited
« Reply #30 on: Sat, Nov 17, 2012 »
Guys, can we ask Adam to put a link to FlixelCommunity repo on a website?
As most people who don't read this forum, have no idea about community version.

Ramontique

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thu, Jan 3, 2013 »
@Ramontique What changes have you made ​​to FlashPunk to make it work with ScaleForm? Maybe I could help

I've switched to Axelite for mobile games. Non stage3d as3.0 engines take a too much of performance hit on mobile platforms even when using Scaleform. Not to mention the insane fee that you have to pay if you want audio in your games...
« Last Edit: Thu, Jan 3, 2013 by Ramontique »

IQAndreas

• View Profile
    • IQAndreas.com
« Reply #32 on: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 »
Maybe someone else can try to make a Flixel version that uses gfx from a swc instead of EMBED?
A SWC is nothing but a collection of classes, no different really than a SWF full of classes. Basically, a SWC serves as an extension to a SWF. You can use EMBED add items to a SWC which will open in Flixel just fine.

Do you mean like creating assets in Flash professional, exporting them to a SWC, and then using them in Flash? Provide more details on what you are looking for, and perhaps I can help add the features.

Tap

• Macromedia, we miss you.
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #33 on: Wed, Jan 16, 2013 »
Is it just me or does the Flixel forum actually need more help than Flixel itself?  If so, I would be willing to help maintain it.  I have PHP dev experience and have used SMF before.  I think Flixel Forums needs some .htaccess modifications to redirect old addresses to new addresses, because there are a ton of 404 errors jumping around.
Looking to join a talented game dev team as a programmer and/or artist.  Want to make games similar to Rogue Legacy and Terraria.

janimator0

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Fri, Jan 18, 2013 »
Hi Ramontique,
I'm also looking for a Flixel + Scaleform solution. This would be very handy! Please let me know if you find any updates

camasthecat

• Contributor
  • WOW! 400+ Posts!? Jeez! Do I have a life!?!?
    • View Profile
    • My site for thermalJS, an HTML5/Javascript engine kinda-like flixel:
« Reply #35 on: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 »
To me, Flixel is amazing.
It's Simple, with not many features.

But it works.

There are virtually no major glitches.

Sure, pixel-perfect collision and such would be nice,

But it works as it is.

Note : An actual beta version would be nice though. And yes, I enjoyed italicing things.