Author Topic: Flixel Air Android perfomance  (Read 5393 times)

dimmduh

• View Profile
Flixel Air Android perfomance
« on: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 »
I created empty project (AS3 Air 3.1 project by Flash Develop), added flixel library, write default code (just black screen).
Compile to apk and run on Samsung Galaxy Tab II

FlxG.mobile = true;
+air renderMode = cpu

But the fps is only 15.
What do I do wrong ?)

Esti

• View Profile
Re: Flixel Air Android perfomance
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 »
probably the resolution. Try a lower one and x2 and x3 scaling modes. Also, try GPU mode.

Check it out on Mochi!

dimmduh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 »
Thanks!
the problem is in resolution

I spent a lot of time on experiments and found the best "solution" is
400x240  + x2 flixel scale + air scale mode + gpu mode  =  30 fps

but it looks really pixellate)

grisevg

• View Profile
    • Dubit Limited
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 »
I'm currently trying to make my flixel game work on android. Can you please explain how to stretch game, so it would work on all resolutions?
PS: You might want to take a look at Axel http://axgl.org/ for better performance on mobile platforms.
« Last Edit: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 by grisevg »

wg/funstorm

• Global Moderator
  • Key Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Funstorm
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 »
Can you please explain how to stretch game, so it would work on all resolutions?

I'm not familiar with flixel on Android, but in general you can change the scale mode flash used by the stage in FlxGame and FlxPreloader (do a search for scalemode).

grisevg

• View Profile
    • Dubit Limited
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 »
Thanks! Found great article describing how to do it http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/multiple-screen-sizes.html

mrfoos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 »
I'll state that I'm no pro at flixel or android.  However I tried a simple game via Flixel Air Android I had made and after only about 30 or so chasing sprites it was too slow to play.  I tried everything I could think of.  I moved to the Flixel-Android (java) project.  I haven't converted everything yet but so far it seems MUCH faster.  I shall see as I progress.

Esti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tue, Nov 27, 2012 »
If you use alphas , scaling or rotation with air you are doomed

Check it out on Mochi!

grisevg

• View Profile
    • Dubit Limited
« Reply #8 on: Sun, Dec 9, 2012 »
Is it possible to get descent performance with Flixel on Mobile Air?
I use resolution 327x160 with x3 zoom. No scaling or rotation and I use pngs for all the sprites and tiles.
Even on Nexus 7 performance is horrible - around 10 FPS.

Is there any good solutions to speed up things?
The only mobile device I've managed to get a good performance, was Samsun Galaxy SIII - it ran full 60FPS on it!.
Which is strange, I didn't thought difference between Nexus 7 and Galaxy SIII would be so big.

I've checked - Nexus 7 cpu is 1.3Ghz quad-core and S3 is 1.4Ghz quad-core... Difference is not so big...
Did anyone had a success of having Flixel game to work fine on modern mobile devices?
« Last Edit: Sun, Dec 9, 2012 by grisevg »

Esti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sun, Dec 9, 2012 »
Strange. I only tested on my iPod 4g so I can't know for sure but the best you can do for optimizing things is:

- Make sure you're using the last Air Mobile version (3.5) in your FlashDevelop project. It should say the number in the XML application file.
- Put -swf-version=16 in the project compiler aditional options to use the latest flash version
- In the air app properties select GPU render mode, in my iPod is a lot faster.
- Find a balance between resolution and scale. In my case I use 480, 320 x 2
- Cap the FPS at 30 "super(480, 320, PlayState , 2, 30, 30);"
- Make sure you're compiling in release mode and using the "normal" mode when packaging the app in android , or "slow test" in iOS.

Also, how are you checking the fps?, because if you open the console you are destroying your fps. Are you using tilemaps?

Check it out on Mochi!

grisevg

• View Profile
    • Dubit Limited
« Reply #10 on: Mon, Dec 10, 2012 »
Strange. I only tested on my iPod 4g so I can't know for sure but the best you can do for optimizing things is:

- Make sure you're using the last Air Mobile version (3.5) in your FlashDevelop project. It should say the number in the XML application file.
- Put -swf-version=16 in the project compiler aditional options to use the latest flash version
- In the air app properties select GPU render mode, in my iPod is a lot faster.
- Find a balance between resolution and scale. In my case I use 480, 320 x 2
- Cap the FPS at 30 "super(480, 320, PlayState , 2, 30, 30);"
- Make sure you're compiling in release mode and using the "normal" mode when packaging the app in android , or "slow test" in iOS.

Also, how are you checking the fps?, because if you open the console you are destroying your fps. Are you using tilemaps?

Thanks a lot! "gpu" render mode really really helped. "direct" is not bad either, though a bit slower.
I wasn't really seeing any FPS, I just played this game so much, I can guess what FPS is pretty accurately...

The only problem is that in "gpu" mode everything is very blurry. As far as I understand, this is because in GPU mode, AIR will always smooth bitmaps on scaling.
Is there any workarounds for it, except using "direct" mode? Tried to google it, but didn't find any solution.
« Last Edit: Mon, Dec 10, 2012 by grisevg »

Esti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mon, Dec 10, 2012 »
That happened to me also but I found out that using an x2 scale the blur isn't noticeable. In consecuence you have to use bigger sprites that may slow down the game if are a lot. In my case my game was running at 60 fps still with big sprites but I prefered to cap the game at 30 to keep some space for having a lot of stuff going on.

About a real solution, I think the blur is caused because flixel uses blitting and I don't think is fixable, I was going to try Axel till I found out about GPU mode.

Check it out on Mochi!

Faceless

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wed, Dec 19, 2012 »
Small suggestion, if you're using AIR 3 include
Code: [Select]
<colorDepth>16</colorDepth> in the manifest, if you don't already, it will add a little bit of speed at the cost of using less of the color pallet. Though on mobile screens the difference is really negligible anyway. There is also absolutely no way to stop the blurring issue short of halving your speed or using CPU mode.

Also, depending on how far you are into the project you might look into using ND2D (https://github.com/nulldesign/nd2d) as an graphics library instead of Flixel. It'll get better performance on AIR than Flixel due to how it renders objects.
« Last Edit: Wed, Dec 19, 2012 by Faceless »

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wed, Mar 20, 2013 »
I tested myself, and it works very nice but has some limitation of resolution as the above posts state.
So if you cannot use  resolution higher than 400x240, which means that you must have zoom x2 .
One question. How do you add touch spites to control your char?
for example in this game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.de.codinsoft.littleRoboRunFree&hl=en
You cannot add just a sprite - button if mouse is pressed do something, because you must press 2 sprites at the same time..

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thu, Mar 28, 2013 »
You cannot add just a sprite - button if mouse is pressed do something, because you must press 2 sprites at the same time..

What you're talking about is called Multitouch. Flixel doesn't have that feature built-in, as that wouldn't make any sense on a PC. Flixel-Android seems to have that feature, and even supports up to 10 touches. Here's another thread concerning Multitouch, maybe it helps.