Author Topic: Looking for beta-testers!  (Read 2080 times)

Schulles

• View Profile
Looking for beta-testers!
« on: Wed, May 29, 2013 »
Hello! :)

I am making this post because I need your help. But not on a problem with flixel but as the title already says to find beta-testers for my latest 'game'. Well, it is not really a game, more like a tutorial on how to create a platformer.

Here is a really short video-preview of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLOEzUepzQ

I would like to have as many guys/girls testing it as possible, so if this caught your interest and you are...

...someone with no experience on coding at all...
...someone with experience on coding, but not with ActionScript 3...
...someone with experience on coding ActionScript 3...
...or someone with experience on flixel...

...then please check it out at http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/678307/preview and let me know what bothers you and what could be improved with language (I am not a native speaker) or with the instructions in general.

Everyone who helps me will be mentioned in the 'Special Thanks'-section if he/she likes and actually will be the first one to ever 'play' it!

The game is split in 10 chapters and is available in 4 versions (for all skill-levels mentioned above).
Because most of you might be of the #4 kind it wouldn't be too bad if you tested the other versions aswell, if you find the time. :)

Thanks in advance!

Schulles  :P

NOTE! The 'C' and 'S' key-functions aren't done yet!

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for beta-testers!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, May 30, 2013 »
The YT video says it's private.

It's interesting that there are these different "difficulty settings". I'm thinking that the fourth group, people who already have experience with flixel, is probably not really required at all.

I was really annoyed by how many download links I was forced to click. First of all, I don't want to be forced to click on a FD-installation if I already have it installed, so, there should be a "skip" button there.

At the end of chaper II, there's a download button even though it seems to be a simple proceed button.

I personally didn't find the text-writing-effect or however you wanna call it very suitable. It's a tutorial, not an RPG. Same for the screen flashing, you should be able to turn that stuff off entirely.

Another thing that might be worth considering is using another, more readable font. Not a huge fan of the pre-installed one in flixel. Also, I think you're using a scale level of two on a relatively small resolution. Since this is a tutorial, I would try to fit as much information on the screen as possible.

It seems like the right page of the book graphic isn't used at all. I'm thinking that could be used for code, which is explained on the left. Also consider doing syntax highlighting. You could also use that page for screenshots of FlashDevelop or to demonstrate things.

In my opinion, it's a must-have feature to be able to access chapters individually.

You should probably disable the flixel debguger.

All that being said, I really think that something like this is a great idea, especially for people who are completely new to making games / programming and flixel in general, because they are not the ones who are going to seek out tutorials.  Actually, this is how I myself got into it (Shootorials on Kongregate).

Btw, good job on Utopian Mining. Enjoyed that game. :)

Schulles

• View Profile
Re: Looking for beta-testers!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, May 30, 2013 »
Ooops, let me change that!

I will leave it in, maybe a few will need it. ;)

Yes, to be honest the download buttons even annoyed myself when I tested through it, that will be changed!

Oh, yeah, once it was downloading something, need to fix that.

I thought it would give it a more interesting touch, but yeah, an option to turn that off is a good idea!

There is another neat font I have on my mind, probably I will change it to that, however I liked sticking to flixel a lot and using the standards.

The right page will be used for our sponsor. I thought there could be a water-print or how it is called, but through the chapters there could also be the whole code that gets build up, I also have been thinking about it a few times.

Yes, this feature will be added, same for the feature to change the difficulty again.

Of course!

Thank you very, very much! :)