Author Topic: Maximum spritesheet filesize  (Read 1733 times)

Mufasa02

• View Profile
Maximum spritesheet filesize
« on: Fri, Jun 21, 2013 »
I know this may not be entirely Flixel related, and maybe more FlashDevelop related.
I'm getting the error: "exception during transcoding: Failed to grab pixels for image ...trailblazerSSb.png"
I know for a fact that it's not about pathing, and it's probably not about java memory either. I think it may be due to the huge spritesheet file size.

I've tried everything, even reducing the quality of the sprite sheet, but it is still 1.7MB. Is it too much for FlashDevelop to handle?

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum spritesheet filesize
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Jun 22, 2013 »
The guy in this thread in the FD forums had the same issue it seems. He solved it by allocating more RAM to the compiler.

Btw, you would have found that thread (or others with similar issues) really quickly by simply doing a quick google search. Most of the timer, that's a lot faster than creating a thread of your own and waiting for answers. :)

war_fire

« Reply #2 on: Wed, Jun 26, 2013 »
Try tinypng, that takes size down a LOT.

Esti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jun 26, 2013 »
Try tinypng, that takes size down a LOT.

Holy **** , this is good!

Thanks.

Check it out on Mochi!

war_fire

« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jun 26, 2013 »
Some things dont work with it though as it erases ALL excess data including metadata and preview. I havent tested it though, so it may or maynot work with flash.

Esti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thu, Jun 27, 2013 »
It works fine on my game tho

Check it out on Mochi!

Mufasa02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Fri, Jun 28, 2013 »
The guy in this thread in the FD forums had the same issue it seems. He solved it by allocating more RAM to the compiler.

Btw, you would have found that thread (or others with similar issues) really quickly by simply doing a quick google search. Most of the timer, that's a lot faster than creating a thread of your own and waiting for answers. :)

I actually did google search for a long time before giving up an trying the flixel forums. I didn't expect it to take a day for my post to be approved though.

I had read that thread you posted, but it didn't work for me. I just wanted to know if there was a image size limit, which doesn't seem to be answered in any thread here on anywhere.

Anyway, for those who might have the same problem as me in the future, I still don't know if there's a image size cap, but I managed to get it to work not by increasing the maximum java memory, but by increasing it's starting memory, so on the jvm.config file, changing -Xmx384m  to -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m will not only cap your memory allocation to 1GB but also will grant you access to all this memory from the first time you try building your project.

Thanks war_fire for the tinypng suggestion, but they have a maximum upload size of 3mb, so some of my spritesheets won't work with it. (I also got some weird invalid server error when tried uploading smaller ones, but I'm sure that's something with my connection).