Author Topic: Legumin Diamond Hunter released on Android  (Read 2702 times)

ratalaika

• View Profile
Legumin Diamond Hunter released on Android
« on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »

Introduction
Legumin Diamond Hunter is a future mobile phone game developed for RATALAIKA GAMES by two students of “Escuela de Ingenierías Industrial e Informática de León (ULE)”, Spain.

The small Legumin, dreams of being the richest of the village looking for valuable objects everywhere.
But he always lose them! Tired of being made fun of he has got a lot of diamonds, tired of the effort, he took a nap and a troll stole his diamonds!

Help him recover his diamonds without been discovered!

In the game, we play the role of Legumin, who will travels through many caves looking for his diamonds. As we move forward in the game, the caves will have more traps and Legumin’s journey becomes more difficult, but the diamonds will be more valuable.

Playing the game is very easy. Once we are inside a cave, we must press the touchpad keys in order to indicate the path we want to follow, before the time bar runs out. When the time bar is empty, Legumin starts walking in the direction we have specified.

Seems easy, right? Not at all… we must collect all the diamonds we can, avoiding the cave traps, and hiding into holes. If Legumin’s path doesn’t end in a hole, the Trolls will see him, and it will kick Legumin out of the cave.

According to the points we get at each level, we obtain a one, two or three Diamond rating.

A video of the first three levels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHIRV2DCdxw

Google Play Link -> http://goo.gl/LV5Mvo

The game will be released on mochigames in the next few weeks.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Legumin Diamond Hunter released on Android
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
I just installed this on my android. This is an interesting conecpt, and the pixel art is decent. However, I immediately noticed that this is poorly optimized for mobile - the tutorial in the first section is talking about "space" and "arrow keys" which makes a bad initial impression.

The first level seems way too big and difficult. It would've been way better to start with something *much* smaller for the player to grasp the concept of the game.

It would be really helpful if there was a grid overlay that shows you how big the tiles are so you can plan your moves more easily.

What's up with the green rectangle in the upper right corner btw? Looks pretty bad for a game that's otherwise fairly polished. The DPad for controls doesn't fit to the visual style of the rest of the game at all either.

What really kept me from wanting to play the game is the fact that there's not retry button. To give a level a second try after losing, you actually have to click the "back" button, then travel to level 1 on the worldmap again, and then press "play". With that not enough, you need to click yourself through the tutorial again. Instead, the level just restart instantly after you lose to keep you playing!

It's kind of sad to me, because it seems like this is a game you've put a lot of time and effort into (it has some pretty good music and art IMO), while missing a point of crucial importance: Proper playtesting. I doubt this game will succeed with issues like this. Sorry if I'm so brutally honest, but feedback should be one thing if nothing else: honest.

I'm guessing you made this game with flixel AS3 and ported it to Android via Adobe AIR? You should really have a look at HaxeFlixel, it makes creating cross-platform games a whole lot easier and better.

ratalaika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
I just installed this on my android. This is an interesting conecpt, and the pixel art is decent. However, I immediately noticed that this is poorly optimized for mobile - the tutorial in the first section is talking about "space" and "arrow keys" which makes a bad initial impression.
That's true it is a failiure when reading the text, it read the desktop version on mobile too, I'll fix that.

The first level seems way too big and difficult. It would've been way better to start with something *much* smaller for the player to grasp the concept of the game.
In the first level you just need to go LEFT 28 times, we thought that it was quite simple but you may be right and we should create a smaller level.

It would be really helpful if there was a grid overlay that shows you how big the tiles are so you can plan your moves more easily.
The grid can be turned on in the config options, we will set it up in order to be shown by default, that may be a better idea.

What's up with the green rectangle in the upper right corner btw? Looks pretty bad for a game that's otherwise fairly polished.
That green rectangle should not appear... You may play without Internet, there some kind of ads should appear, we will modified it in order to "hide" the rectangle if you do not have internet connection.

The DPad for controls doesn't fit to the visual style of the rest of the game at all either.
That's right too, we used the default controller image that we had... Maybe we should use the same arrows as in the config menu...

What really kept me from wanting to play the game is the fact that there's not retry button. To give a level a second try after losing, you actually have to click the "back" button, then travel to level 1 on the worldmap again, and then press "play". With that not enough, you need to click yourself through the tutorial again. Instead, the level just restart instantly after you lose to keep you playing!
You are completely right about that too, we will add the restart button. Some other testers told us that too.

It's kind of sad to me, because it seems like this is a game you've put a lot of time and effort into (it has some pretty good music and art IMO), while missing a point of crucial importance: Proper playtesting. I doubt this game will succeed with issues like this. Sorry if I'm so brutally honest, but feedback should be one thing if nothing else: honest.
I REALLY appreciate that kind of honesty and more the respect you said. We put a lot of effort on this game, that's true. It is our first game with some quality. We will fix the issues you said above, due to we are still in BETA. I hope you'll be able play the games in a few days and be surprised with those changes ;). I really appreciate you feedback.

I'm guessing you made this game with flixel AS3 and ported it to Android via Adobe AIR? You should really have a look at HaxeFlixel, it makes creating cross-platform games a whole lot easier and better.
We are not using flixel at all hehe. We made the game using a library developed by my company Spiller. Which is a port of flixel to Java (All of our programmers are Java programmers) in order to obtain native performance and they add some mods that they got from HaxeFlixel :P.

Really thanks!! Again for your feedback, I hope to be able to fix that this weekend :).

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
That green rectangle should not appear... You may play without Internet, there some kind of ads should appear, we will modified it in order to "hide" the rectangle if you do not have internet connection.

Hm, that's weird. I was playing with internet connection - a fast connection even, connected to my local WLAN network. Maybe there's some issue with the code that shows ads? Anyway, it seems like the default color should be changed to black to prevent this from happening.

I REALLY appreciate that kind of honesty and more the respect you said. We put a lot of effort on this game, that's true. It is our first game with some quality. We will fix the issues you said above, due to we are still in BETA. I hope you'll be able play the games in a few days and be surprised with those changes ;). I really appreciate you feedback.

Awesome, glad you found my feedback useful! I'll be sure to give the game another go when the update is out. :)

We are not using flixel at all hehe. We made the game using a library developed by my company Spiller. Which is a port of flixel to Java (All of our programmers are Java programmers) in order to obtain native performance and they add some mods that they got from HaxeFlixel :P.

Oh, that's interesting. Well, if you're using a port, then you're still using flixel. ;) Any particular reason you didn't go with HaxeFlixel as it seems like you already knew about it? Also, I'm curious how big your company is (how many people).
« Last Edit: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 by Gama11 »

ratalaika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
Code: [Select]
Hm, that's weird. I was playing with internet connection - a fast connection even, connected to my local WLAN network. Maybe there's some issue with the code that shows ads? Anyway, it seems like the default color should be changed to black to prevent this from happening.

Awesome, glad you found my feedback useful! I'll be sure to give the game another go when the update is out. :)

Oh, that's interesting. Well, if you're using a port, then you're still using flixel. ;) Any particular reason you didn't go with HaxeFlixel as it seems like you already knew about it? Also, I'm curious how big your company is (how many people).
We are working on the rectangle that seems quite weird maybe an admob problem of some kind... We will make in not visible so no problem hehe.

Well my company is quite small, I have two Java Spring programmers that take care of the website and some external ads we need.

I have three game programmers that take care of coding games, three (one was fired due to lack of commitment) graphical designers that made the graphics for the game and a musician that compose our music.

We normally split the people in teams of two so they code one game each team hehe.

We didn't use HaxeFlixel because our programmers already know Java and they are not as experienced as be able to know a new language and code a game at the same time...

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
We didn't use HaxeFlixel because our programmers already know Java and they are not as experienced as be able to know a new language and code a game at the same time...

Well, porting the whole engine to Java probably takes longer than learning Haxe! ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, Jul 28, 2013 by Gama11 »

ratalaika

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 »
Well, porting the whole engine to Java probably takes longer than learning Haxe! ;)
Actually it did!! xD It took me like the whole past year and I finished the past summer hehe. But I learn a lot on how OpenGL works, java performance, and how Flixel works xD.