Author Topic: [Tutorial] - Creating a MMO with Flixel and AppWarp  (Read 3683 times)

Suyash Mohan

• View Profile
Recently I wrote an article on how one can develop a MMO using Cloud Based Backend As A Service. For that article I also created a basic MMO game named SpaceWarFare in Flixel and AppWarp.

I would like to share it with this community in hope that someone may find it useful. The game is also open source :)

http://blogs.shephertz.com/2013/09/20/creating-a-mmo-game-with-appwarp-multiplayer-gaming-engine/

Minverva

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] - Creating a MMO with Flixel and AppWarp
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Sep 24, 2013 »
Neat stuff, I'll look into it later when I have more experience with flash (and an MMO I badly want to create).

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 »
Hi,
I have several questions:
1. The plan Straight is free for 3 month , then?
2. is there a way we can write Serverside code? I can only see client side in github.
Creating a multiplayer game involves writing server side code.
Your services seams more like Playerio.com.
They are both cloud. But the tutorial is lacking most of player io features.
3. Where is  user data saved? How we save user data?
4. Kongregate login, own login?
5.Microtransaction?

I personally use UnionPlatoform due to its 1000 CCU free. and i can host my own servers.

Suyash Mohan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 »
The plan is free for three months then you have to buy packages as per your needs. Check out http://appwarp.shephertz.com/pricing/

You don't even have to write your server side code. Shephertz provides Backend As A Service(BaaS) Cloud Services.

You can use another Shephertz's Service called App42 to save user data, user login, leaderboards and social integration

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 »
I am very curios how a game can run without custom server side code.
My first assumption is that the server just forwards messages. This way the games are very easy to hack.
Second the plans as player io don't provide cost control.
Just 1 user connected with a minimum 1 mes/sec= 2.5 mil mess/mo.
Not to mention that in your tutorial there are 30-60 mess/sec without app control messeges.

Suyash Mohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 »
Thanks for your feedback :-)

AppWarp cloud services have ready made room/lobby logic. Also there are other gaming specific backend features like
match making. Developers can also set/reset properties of a room which persist for its lifetime. There are APIs to
lock/unlock them on the server which makes it easier to synchronize and resolve race conditions from the client side.
I've used these properties in this demo game for the diamonds, bullets and health features.

Having said that there are still cases where you would want to add your own custom server side code and we are working
on that feature.

Sending/Receiving messages is up to your game logic. For example in this demo I send a message everytime the player moves
to a different tile in the grid as opposed to every frame per second. This reduces the traffic the game generates. AppWarp
pricing is based on the total number of messages over a month processed by the server (incoming plus outgoing). Can you clarify
what you mean by cost control?

paala

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 »
Hi,
Cost Control means that I pay x$ for 1000CCU i limit my app for 1000CCU per server, and i know that i don't pay more than x$.
Calculating no of messages (your app) or bandwidth utilization (player io) for me seams more complicated and if a hacker uses the app to send messages i can receive a super huge bill.
This is my opinion,other may like to have all on cloud. Good luck beating player io.

Suyash Mohan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Dec 11, 2013 »
Hi,
I have several questions:
1. The plan Straight is free for 3 month , then?
2. is there a way we can write Serverside code? I can only see client side in github.
Creating a multiplayer game involves writing server side code.
Your services seams more like Playerio.com.
They are both cloud. But the tutorial is lacking most of player io features.
3. Where is  user data saved? How we save user data?
4. Kongregate login, own login?
5.Microtransaction?

I personally use UnionPlatoform due to its 1000 CCU free. and i can host my own servers.

AppWarp is now Free for lifetime for indie developers, please check our new pricing plans http://appwarp.shephertz.com/pricing/