Author Topic: Flixel and Stencyl  (Read 2435 times)

Eumbrex

• View Profile
Flixel and Stencyl
« on: Sun, Jan 12, 2014 »
Hello, I started developing a game on Stencyl, but as I progressed, the game's performance dropped rather quickly. I understand it that games made in Stencyl use Flixel as engine, so the game's performance (based on...let's say: FPS with given number of moving objecs) should be similiar if not the same, right?
My game's FPS dropped with around 100 moving objects to unplayable (I minimized expensive calculations, turned off collisions and tried several optimizations). I'm sure Flash can handle more. Could I achieve better results by learning AS3 and making the game without Stencyl?
« Last Edit: Sun, Jan 12, 2014 by Eumbrex »

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Flixel and Stencyl
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Jan 13, 2014 »
I haven't used Stencyl, but my guess is that you simply cannot reach the same performance as you could if you programmed the game yourself.

Before you look into learning AS3 + Flixel, you should probably have a look at Haxe + HaxeFlixel.

Eumbrex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jan 13, 2014 »
Thank you for reply, Gama11, I'll check it out.

Tap

• Macromedia, we miss you.
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Apr 5, 2014 »
Stencyl utilized Flixel back-in-the-day, but I believe it outputs to HTML5 now.  I stopped using it after getting frustrated with how the StencylWorks IDE was organized.  That said, it had a very nice level/map editing tool with customizable collision shapes for each tile.  That's something I never even tried to accomplish with Flixel on its own.

As far as performance goes, I think you're better off using HaxeFlixel if you can, because it can output to native code.  That said, I think you may want to look at C++ as another alternative.
Looking to join a talented game dev team as a programmer and/or artist.  Want to make games similar to Rogue Legacy and Terraria.