Author Topic: My first game - Saturn Blue (aka Super Mode)  (Read 5086 times)

Minverva

• View Profile
I finally uploaded it on Kongregate here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/JanusJamesGames/saturn-blue

Hopefully there aren't too many problems upon release. Obviously my base code is Mode, but I added a lot of content which may not be apparent until higher levels.

If it is popular/well-rated I'm going to create a fun level pack/mini-game pack to go along with it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ohmnivore

• View Profile
Re: My first game - Saturn Blue (aka Super Mode)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, Feb 8, 2014 »
I try and click on the text but it won't redirect me to your books' page.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, Feb 8, 2014 »
How strange - do you have a pop up blocker?

Thanks for trying to check it out though. Here is a direct link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I89PDF2

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
For some reason I just got a bunch of 1 star votes which really hurt the rating of my game since so few people have rated it. None of them have left any feedback at all which is really disheartening so I'm really at a loss here.

The people I've talked to in the Kongregate chat who've played it have liked it a lot.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
I played and quit after dead, only for one reason: shooting with mouse button. It just don't work for me. The original Mode was better.
If you change the controls, then I'll replay. BTW, I didn't vote.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
You didn't like shooting with the mouse button?

I suppose I can understand that for the first weapon, but you actually need the mouse for more precise aiming with the other weapons.

I don't understand why you'd think the original Mode was better since I have so many enemy and upgrade types.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
The original Mode was better in control, that's what I mean.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
The original Mode was better in control, that's what I mean.

Oh okay, I just uploaded a new version that makes the 1st mission clearer. I think maybe some new people just don't understand the goal of the game and so they give up before they get to all the good stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. I changed it based on your post.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #8 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
Playing your game right now. I decided to give it more try. I like the upgrade and the enemies new stuffs.

Lol, rick astley. No wonder you get 1 star.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
hehe, the Rick Ashley thing was a joke. The Core button does actually open up when the boss is available.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #10 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
Finally bought the torpedo along with the upgrades. Still doesn't really does the job. It says aim with the mouse and press mouse button. Some times nothing comes out or it takes too long to get reloaded.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
I played and quit after dead, only for one reason: shooting with mouse button. It just don't work for me.

I don't think shooting with the mouse button is the issue here, that's fine. The issue is that you can still only shoot in 4 directions as if you'd shoot with the direction keys, thus it doesn't increase the precision at all and just feels off.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
Finally bought the torpedo along with the upgrades. Still doesn't really does the job. It says aim with the mouse and press mouse button. Some times nothing comes out or it takes too long to get reloaded.

The torpedoes only reload when you aren't firing. The can reload a bit slowly if you haven't bought the first reload upgrade for them.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sun, Feb 9, 2014 »
I don't think shooting with the mouse button is the issue here, that's fine. The issue is that you can still only shoot in 4 directions as if you'd shoot with the direction keys, thus it doesn't increase the precision at all and just feels off.

Hmm, not sure what I should do about that.

I do like the mouse aiming because it lets you fire behind you as you move which you can't do in the original Mode.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mon, Feb 10, 2014 »
Hmm, not sure what I should do about that.

Allow shooting in every direction / 360?

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mon, Feb 10, 2014 »
Allow shooting in every direction / 360?

I guess I can look into it. My mom's in the hospital though and I have other responsibilities too.

I'm a bit concerned that it might cause some lag when it is at higher rates of fire and is having to rotate the sprite so much, but I suppose I could change the bullet graphic too so it doesn't need rotation. I'd also have to redo how the recoil is calculated for when people purchase that upgrade(s) so it doesn't feel weird.

As it stands now the torpedoes do fire in 360 degrees which is kind of what makes them special. I wanted the different weapons to all have strengths and weakness. The basic blaster's weakness is that it only fires in four directions and has weak shots (which can't usually penetrate shields), but its strength is that it is rapid firing and constant, which is good for killing "fleas."

I did tweak the aiming for the basic blaster though so it is easier to aim up and down so maybe that will help. I also did some other tweaks based on feedback I had in the chat like making the shield bar more visible.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mon, Feb 10, 2014 »
I'm a bit concerned that it might cause some lag when it is at higher rates of fire and is having to rotate the sprite so much

Yeah, rotations are pretty expensive in flash. You can use loadRotatedGraphic() to use baked rotations and avoid that.

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #17 on: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 »
Beat the game. Killed the boss 3 times and finished the mission 100. Unlocked 3 of the 6 secret upgrades. I don't even know what I unlocked exactly. Vertical Jetpack, Brain Bomb Decrypter and something after beating mission 100 I think.

Didn't like the game though. It's more frustrating than fun. Didn't use HyperMode, too hard to control. Don't know what Brain Bomb Decrypter does. What does the strange object in the upper-left corner do in the Credit screen. I can push it away.

The frustrating part:
- rectangles enemies, can't be killed when they are next to you. You've to walk away and shoot. Guess what, when you got surrounded by two of more of them and especially in narrow path...oh sentinel bullets coming...
- jumping to get to a certain point, you'll jump against an invisible bot or that annoying rectangle that comes out of nowhere. How many times I got die by sentinels because something fell on top of me while jumping.
- getting stuck by the rectangles and bots, makes you sitting duck by the sentinels. Happens all the time.
- bots and that annoying rectangle are invisible sometimes.
- to many keys to handle. I don't use Dash, it doesn't really speed you up. You are better off using the Hover Pack.
- getting stuck by bots that can't be destroyed without special treatment.
- OHKO sentinel shots, you only need to buy about 4 Shield Strength, the rest is wasted because of the OHKO.
- The dark blue cursor is hard to see when there is a flash effect or many enemies is on the screen.
- Playing all the way to Mission 100 to see something magical, but no...

The good part:
- Upgrades for the player
- Weapons
- Upgrades of the enemies
- Boss

And no, I'm not going to tip you, not giving you five points (probably unlocks a secret upgrade) and not buying your book.
« Last Edit: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 by Wing Eraser »

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 »
Beat the game. Killed the boss 3 times and finished the mission 100. Unlocked 3 of the 6 secret upgrades. I don't even know what I unlocked exactly. Vertical Jetpack, Brain Bomb Decrypter and something after beating mission 100 I think.

It tells you in the mission briefing screen that you unlocked the phasing jetpack and how to use it.

Didn't use HyperMode, too hard to control.

It is mostly a joke ability, which I said in the description of it.

Don't know what Brain Bomb Decrypter does.

It kills all the fleas that are alive.

What does the strange object in the upper-left corner do in the Credit screen. I can push it away.

Looks like a slight bug.

The frustrating part:
- rectangles enemies, can't be killed when they are next to you. You've to walk away and shoot. Guess what, when you got surrounded by two of more of them and especially in narrow path...oh sentinel bullets coming...

Yep, that's the point of fleas, they are dangerous because they can inhibit your movement. Other than that they don't usually cause much damage. One strategy to deal with that situation is to use the portal generator to teleport the death ball out of your path.

jumping to get to a certain point, you'll jump against an invisible bot or that annoying rectangle that comes out of nowhere. How many times I got die by sentinels because something fell on top of me while jumping.

That is kind of how it is supposed to work. Sentinel death balls are slow and predictable. They'd be easy to avoid if there was nothing else going on.

to many keys to handle. I don't use Dash, it doesn't really speed you up.

I significantly improved dash earlier today. It is probably much more useful now.

You are better off using the Hover Pack.

Yes, that is true, but dashing is also a very cheap upgrade and has no prerequisites.

getting stuck by bots that can't be destroyed without special treatment.

Such as? If you made it to level 100 you should be able to use the portal generator to kill anything solid. All you have to do is teleport them into a wall.

OHKO sentinel shots, you only need to buy about 4 Shield Strength, the rest is wasted because of the OHKO.

I think level 4 is a bit low. Especially now with the new enemies I've added. If you get a chance you can check them out on level 16 (one of the special levels I created). I think they add a lot to the game.

The dark blue cursor is hard to see when there is a flash effect or many enemies is on the screen.

I'll see what I can do to improve the cursor.

Playing all the way to Mission 100 to see something magical, but no...

The phasing jetpack is pretty neat...

- Boss

I'm glad you liked the boss and were able to beat it.

And no, I'm not going to tip you, not giving you five points (probably unlocks a secret upgrade) and not buying your book.

I don't expect most people to tip me or buy my book. I really would appreciate a 5 star rating though since I got a lot of 1 stars at the very start from people who didn't even play the game.

If you are curious you missed the secret upgrades you get for beating level 0. It looks like you also missed the upgrade you get for clicking on the menu button a bit (not actually 100 times).

Thanks for playing though. I'll work on the cursor right now.
« Last Edit: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 by Minverva »

Wing Eraser

• Contributor
  • ★★★★★
    • View Profile
    • Wing Eraser
« Reply #19 on: Fri, Feb 14, 2014 »
How do I get to level 0? It goes from 1 to 100 and vice versa.
I don't have the save anymore, clear the browser's cache. Not replaying this anymore.