Author Topic: Looking for a teacher.  (Read 1919 times)

ShenHibiki

• View Profile
Looking for a teacher.
« on: Fri, Jul 18, 2014 »
It's simple. There's some tutorials around, yes. But 90% of them are based on 'copy my code, edit one or two things, and done!'.
I think I would learn better if I could ask someone to bounce ideas with me, or when I have doubts of specific uses of certain parts of the code...

So, have you ever wanted to pass on your knowledge of flixel? I want to make a simple RPG-ish game, to learn to use this code, and even though I'll probably o it on my own anyway, would be a HUGE help to have someone to talk with directly and guide me on the first steps.

I'm -not- asking you to code this thing for me. More like teach me how some details work, so I can use that to build on my own! ^^

TurtleGMR

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a teacher.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Jul 21, 2014 »
     I need a teacher for this stuff as well. I can't find helpful AS3 teachers. There's a website called Codecademy.com that teaches code, but it doesn't teach AS3. If you do end up finding a teacher or something, could you, please, point me in the right direction to finding whatever teacher, video tutorial, or any form of helpful-thing you found. I'm a newbie to this whole thing right now.

baconandgames

• Global Moderator
  • "Whatever you are, be a good one."
    • View Profile
    • Bacon and Games
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Jul 21, 2014 »
You will both have much better luck if you jump into it and return with specific questions. You'll find that the people here, and just about every other forum, are more than willing to answer questions and help you get a foothold. Conversely, you will find that you will not get much help if you aren't specific about your needs. Wanting a teacher is too broad of a need. Forum members are generally very helpful people (at least in the tech space) but you'll find them more willing to help if they see you've put some effort in. It's very much a "get out of it what you put in" kind of mentality.

If you're interested in learning Flixel I strongly recommend you begin here: http://flashgamedojo.com/ Play around with these tutorials and samples. Then choose a very small goal. Wanting to build an RPG is a BIG task if you're new to this. Instead focusing on wanting to build an RPG, focus on learning how draw a map to the screen, then maybe how to move a character, then maybe a separate exercise to handle a speech bubble system or a drag and drop inventory...

If an RPG is what you want to build, break it into VERY tiny exercises for yourself and return to the forums with specific questions about what you're struggling with, showing what you got to work and where you're stuck. There's nobody out there who can teach you how to make an RPG, you can only learn the building blocks. I suspect that if you learn enough of the pieces (like mentioned above) you will begin on your own to see how they might all fit together.

You won't get anything "right" the first time, but that's mostly because there aren't necessarily "right" ways to program something. Some are more efficient than others, sure, but that doesn't mean there's any one right way or that any other way is inherently wrong. The important thing is just jump into it. It's a fun process, learning how to program, and very rewarding. And you will find that in learning something specific you'll stumble upon all sorts of other tangential learning opportunities that will help you come to understand how each new thing you learn will fit together to build an entire RPG or whatever genre you want to tackle.

Good luck and have fun with it :)

ShenHibiki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jul 23, 2014 »
My problem with that, while helpful, is that sometimes I need a quick answer to a small, specific doubt, and can't find documentation about it online. Not being a native english speaker dificults some details! XD

But ok, I'll try and see what happens~ thanks!

baconandgames

• Global Moderator
  • "Whatever you are, be a good one."
    • View Profile
    • Bacon and Games
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jul 23, 2014 »
Perfect. Ask your specific question on the forums.