Author Topic: Forum verification question problem: "flixel is a library for what language?"  (Read 3204 times)

BenMcLean

• View Profile
It took me a whole bunch of tries just to get registered on this forum, because of the badly done, "flixel is a library for what language?" verification question.

"AS3": WRONG!
"ActionScript": WRONG!
"ActionScript 3": WRONG!
"Flash ActionScript": WRONG!
"Actually, a ton of people end up using HaxelFlixel or FlixelGDX instead": WRONG!

It turns out that the answer to this is actually, "ActionScript3". No spaces. Not sure if capitalization matters. But it's a badly done question. I only figured it out by Googling it and finding somebody else complaining about this in the middle of a thread on this forum about something else. Whoever runs this site really needs to fix that!

Zapleaf

• View Profile
I do agree, it's a major pain in the ass and limits a lot of people from contributing to the community discussions.  Then again, are them the type of people we want to hear from?  I think all minds should have a say on a topic, even the "immature" ones.  Seeing a viewpoint from a new perspective always helps me break away from a narrow mindset of thinking.  So yes, we do need a better system in place.

Minverva

• View Profile
If you want a really funny forum verification question then I got this one when I registered at FlashDevelop to get some help on my reinstall:

String("FlashDevelop ") + Math.round(3.99).toString() + String(".5") == ?:

xenustehg

• View Profile
Dear lord I thought thats just me being an idiot on this question!

Sharpe

• View Profile
I typed everything imaginable into there! All four of your first examples. Thankfully, it changed questions or I never would have gotten it.

I now have to answer it again to post this. I'll try with no capitals and see if it works.

kuromeru

• View Profile
I've been trying to register for a while now. The question is a pain in the butt! I put AS3, AS 3, Actionscript 3, Actionscript, etc all different with different syntax! Thank you for posting the answer! I probably would have given up if not for this.

misterfischer

• View Profile
"Then again, are them the type of people we want to hear from?"

You mean people who don't type ActionScript3, case sensitive, digit by digit, as their initial instinct to an already snarky question?

This is the most pedantic entrance to a forum I've encountered.

And if you guys don't mind me saying, it sets a really bad first impression if you ask me.
This is only my first post and I don't even wanna know how many of my spelling errors you guys are going to correct.

I mean I thought StackOverflow was up it's own ass, but god DAMN!

Flash (and Flixel it seems) are already on their deathbed. This is no time to be picky.

Hey ADMINS and/or whoever is the master of this domain. Drop the security questions. You aren't doing yourself any favors.