Author Topic: Spell check?  (Read 2116 times)

Minverva

• View Profile
Spell check?
« on: Sun, Apr 5, 2015 »
Anyone know of a good tool that can spell check anything between quotation marks in your code?

Hopefully something integrated into Flash Develop would be nice.

This seems like a fairly obvious feature, but I can't seem to find it.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Spell check?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Apr 6, 2015 »
Why not have any text that you care to have spellchecked inside a separate .txt / .csv / whatever file? That way you could use pretty much any tool for it.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Apr 6, 2015 »
Sure, I've done that sort of thing in the past. Right now I'm designing levels and so I'm passing brief strings to computer terminal objects for the player to read. I also have strings in the briefing/debriefing screens that should be spell-checked too. I'm usually just so focused on placing the computer objects correctly and building the level that I don't open another program and spell check them.

It seems like it would be really convenient for the compiler to parse the strings out of the code and then spell check them. I'm just surprised nobody has done this.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thu, Apr 9, 2015 »
I don't think that should be the responsibility of a compiler, that would be quite silly. How would it know what language to check for? Should it maintain dictionaries for 50 different languages? How would it know a string should be spell-checked in the first place?

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Apr 9, 2015 »
You could say the same things about a word processor. The point is that it would be a feature that would save time and reduce errors. There are a lot of features in Gimp that I don't use, but I don't begrudge them to people that do use them.

As for which strings should be spell checked, I believe I mentioned that earlier - spell check words between quotation marks. That should take care of the vast majority of situations I think.

Here is a similar tool for Visual Studio:

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/7c8341f1-ebac-40c8-92c2-476db8d523ce/

It has been downloaded 220k times and is highly reviewed. There is clearly a desire for such a tool among some people.

Gama11

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sat, Apr 11, 2015 »
I agree, this is reasonable as a plugin for an IDE, but not implemented into a compiler - two entirely different things.

Minverva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sun, Apr 12, 2015 »
I agree, this is reasonable as a plugin for an IDE, but not implemented into a compiler - two entirely different things.

I'd never heard of the term IDE before; I didn't realize FlashDevelop was an IDE. I'd been referring to it as a compiler.

Learn something new every day.

Cheers.